The needs of the garden vary depending on the time of year and weather conditions.
An expert has shared the top 10 mistakes gardeners make and why the most common one is so damaging.
The new survey by Toolstation looked at the biggest mistakes people make in their gardens.
This was based on what most landscapers consider to be a big problem.
Experts shared the biggest gardening mistakes
Biggest gardening mistakes
1. Planting a tree or plant that then grows too big
2. Not maintaining the lawn properly
3. Not considering the maintenance to upkeep the garden
4. Not thoroughly planning a design for the garden before starting work
5. Watering too much or too little
6. Planting high maintenance plants or vegetables
7. Planting plants or vegetables too close together or in the wrong spot
8. Using the wrong soil or not amending the soil
9. Not killing the roots properly when weeding
10. Planting plants or vegetables in the wrong season
Gardening and landscape expert Fiona Jenkins from MyJobQuote.co.uk explained why planting a tree in the wrong place can be disruptive for homeowners and their neighbours.
She said: "One of the most common gardening mistakes is planting a tree or hedge in the wrong location.
"It then grows too big and causes problems for you and potentially for your neighbours.
"Fast growing hedges can quickly become unmanageable, which can block natural light from your or your neighbour's property. Choose a slow growing variety so you can maintain it at a reasonable height."