Fruit warning issued as potentially life-threatening salmonella outbreak sweeps the US


A warning has been issued for cantaloupe

Sarra Gray

By Sarra Gray

Published: 22/11/2023

- 15:56

Health officials have shared a warning for fruit that could contain a salmonella risk

Shoppers are being urged not to eat some cantaloupes that could be contaminated by the illness.

This follows a salmonella outbreak that's hit more than 40 people in 15 US states.

The cases have been linked to cantaloupes and pre-cut fruits with several brands issuing a recall.

Shoppers are urged not to eat Malichita brand whole cantaloupe, Vinyard brand pre-cut cantaloupe and Aldi US whole cantaloupe and pre-cut fruit products.


Shoppers should throw out the affected items


This affects any items sold between October 16 and November 10.

Those who have bought these products are asked not to eat them and, instead, dispose of the fruits.

At least 43 people are known to have caught the illness from the fruit, with 17 people being treated in hospital.

The number of people affected could be higher as all cases may not have been reported.

Minnesota, Missouri and Arizona reported the highest number of cases.

Cases were also found in Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Nebraska and Texas.

Washington, California, Ohio, Virginia and Georgia also reported cases, although the numbers were much smaller.

What is salmonella?

Salmonella is a bacteria that can be transmitted through food and often comes from cross-contamination.

The symptoms of the illness and how it affects people can vary greatly.


Salmonella can be potentially deadly


Some will experience no symptoms at all, while others may have stomach cramps, diarrhoea, sickness or fever.

Most people will recover quickly, but in extreme cases, medical attention is needed and it can lead to potentially life-threatening complications.

Food is recalled when a health risk is found in the product.

British supermarket Morrisons recalled a popular meat that may contain salmonella.

The chorizo ring could cause the illness and shoppers who had purchased it were asked not to eat it.

You may like