Nicola Bulley's family issue new statement on their torment and grief after inquest

The lawyer representing Nicola Bulley's family read out a statement

The lawyer representing Nicola Bulley's family read out a statement

Jack Walters

By Jack Walters

Published: 28/06/2023

- 08:35

Updated: 28/06/2023

- 09:55

The coroner concluded the 45-year-old's death was 'accidental' and not suicide

Nicola Bulley’s family have issued a new statement addressing “upsetting” social media messages after a coroner concluded the mother-of-two’s death was “accidental”.

Bulley’s disappearance on January 27 sparked widespread public interest and some people have used different platforms to speculate about what they think happened to the 45-year-old.

Speculation about Bulley continued to circulate on social media even after the mother-of-two’s body was found 23-days later following an extensive search of the River Wyre.

Terry Wilcox, the solicitor representing Bulley’s family, read a brief statement outside Preston Coroners’ Court which directly addressed the use of social media.

Nicola Bulley A post mortem revealed Nicola Bulley was alive when she entered the waterLancashire Police

He said: “Sadly, we feel the need to again raise and address the issue of social media.

“It is upsetting that we have continued to receive negative targeted messages and still wildly inaccurate speculation being shared on numerous platforms.

“We encourage people to look at the facts, the evidence which is being heard during the inquest and the conclusion reached by the coroner, to ignore any amateur views and opinions and be mindful of the impact words bring.”

The family’s comments were echoed by a senior police officer from Lancashire Constabulary.


Family handout image of Nicola BulleyFamily handout image of Nicola BulleyPA

Detective Chief Superintendent Pauline Stables said: “I hope that His Majesty’s Coroner’s clear and definitive findings will put an end to ill-informed speculation and conspiracy theories which have been so damaging to Nikki’s family and the community of St Michael’s.”

She added: “I would once again express my deepest sympathy to all her loved ones and I would ask that their privacy is respected at this time to allow them the time and space to rebuild and to heal.”

However, it is not just speculation on social media which has caused concern since Bulley’s disappearance.

A 34-year-old man from Kidderminster was arrested in March after recording footage from inside a police cordon on the day Bulley’s body was found.

The bench where Nicola Bulley's phone was foundThe inquest concluded Nicola Bulley's death was accidental as she fell into the river and suffered 'cold water shock'PA

An inquest in Bulley’s death concluded yesterday by ruling out suicide.

Recording his verdict, Coroner Dr James Adeley said: “I conclude that Nicola Jane Bulley died an accidental death.”

He added: “I discount a conclusion of suicide as there is no evidence to support this conclusion.”

Police also shared a video at the inquest which gave some insight into Bulley’s final moments after her fall into the River Wyre.

PC Matthew Thackray said: “You can see it's fairly clear at the point of entry.

"I'm into the middle of the river now and it is pushing me down towards the weir.

“If she did fall in she would probably be floating and be pushed along.”

You may like