Urgent product recall: Cadbury customers told to return products over ‘deadly’ bacteria fears
By Jack Walters
Published: 02/05/2023- 10:38
Sweet-toothed Britons have been hit with a product recall alert after six popular chocolate yoghurts were identified as possibly being contaminated by monocytogenes.
Daim, Dairy Milk Buttons and Dairy Milk Chunks chocolate desserts with a use by date of May 18 were included in the product recall.
Crunchie and Flake chocolate desserts with a use by date of May 17 and the six-pack of Cadbury Heroes Chocolate Desserts with a use by date of May 18 were also identified as part of the potential contamination.
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said in a food alert issued late Monday night: “Müller has taken the precautionary step of recalling some batches of various Cadbury branded dessert products because of the possible presence of listeria monocytogenes.”
Dairy Milk Buttons and chocolate desserts with a use by date of May 18 were included in the product recall
The FSA also urged people with affected batches to not eat the at-risk yoghurts.
The non-ministerial government department instead encouraged impacted customers to return the items to the store they purchased them from for a full refund, with or without a receipt.
A spokesperson from Muller UK & Ireland said: “Müller produces these products under license from Mondelez International and has stressed that this does not impact any other products it produces in the UK or other markets.
“The business has informed the Food Standards Agency of this action and they have issued a Product Information Recall Notice.”
Listeria usually leads to mild and flu-like symptoms.
Chills, muscle aches, sickness and diarrhoea are among the common signs of infection.
However, listeria is capable of being more serious and could be life-threatening in more vulnerable people.
Pensioners, pregnant women, unborn babies, babies less than one month old and people with weakened immune systems have been identified as the most vulnerable to listeria.
Flake chocolate desserts with a use by date of May 17 were also identified as part of the potential contamination.
It is also possible for listeria to lead to serious health complications, such as meningitis.
Listeria infections have been found in soft cheeses, raw fish and some dairy products so far this year.
One person died after eating a baronet semi-soft cheese, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) confirmed in March.
The UKHSA’s update was a part of a wider warning about "exceptionally high levels" of listeria detected in some cheeses.