'Its a disgrace!' Welsh parliament torn apart for 'worrying' censorship after GB News ban

Andrew RT Davies/Senedd

The Senedd has been torn apart for "censorship" after banning GB News from its televisions

PA
Millie Cooke

By Millie Cooke


Published: 17/10/2023

- 15:15

Updated: 17/10/2023

- 15:33

Welsh Conservative leader Andrew RT Davies said the decision to ban GB News from the Senedd's internal TV systems should 'worry us all'

The Welsh parliament has accused of "censorship" after banning GB News from its televisions.

Leader of the Welsh Conservatives, Andrew RT Davies, described the decision to ban the channel from the Senedd's internal TVs as a "disgrace", warning that it should "worry us all".


A spokesperson for the Welsh Speaker said the decision had been taken because the channel was "contrary to our parliament’s values."

They advised staff and members who want to watch the channel to "do so online".

WATCH: Michael Gove fights back against GB News critics

But hitting back at the decision, Andrew RT Davies said: "This is a disgrace. It's censorship and it should worry us all.

"People should be free to choose if they want to watch GB News."

He added: "It's not for the Senedd to decide."

A spokesperson for the Llwydd - the Welsh speaker - said in a statement: "GB News has been removed from the Senedd’s internal television system following a recent broadcast that was deliberately offensive, demeaning to public debate and contrary to our parliament’s values.

"There are now several ongoing Ofcom investigations into the channel.

"The Commission will discuss the issue at a future meeting, and staff and Members who wish to view GB News will still be able to do so online in the Senedd.”

The Senedd's statement is understood to be referring to an incident on the channel last month, in which former GB News presenter Laurence Fox made a series of remarks about political journalist Ava Evans on Tuesday evening which GB News has described as "totally unacceptable".

GB News apologised to Evans and Fox has since departed the channel after an internal investigation.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:

\u200b Andrew RT Davies

Andrew RT Davies said: "This is a disgrace. It's censorship and it should worry us all."

PA

Speaking at the Conservative Party Conference, Levelling Up Minister Michael Gove came out in defence of the channel when talking to Camilla Tominey, saying: "We shouldn't be in the business of saying close down free speech.”

In reference to a call to shut down the channel by ex-Sky presenter Adam Boulton, Gove said: "GB News is a valuable addition to what I think some people have called the broadcasting ecology."

He added: “People should have more choice. There should be more voices.

“Yes, there'll be people on GB News who will say things that are offensive, there are people at the BBC who have said things that are offensive, and indeed on other channels as well.

“GB News is great. The more people who tune in and hear you, Camilla, Chris Hope and others, the better.”

You may like