Drivers urged to 'carefully check the small print' when on the road or risk £10,000 insurance charge

Drivers urged to 'carefully check the small print' when on the road or risk £10,000 insurance charge

WATCH: Stephen Dixon gives top tip for slashing car insurance

Hemma Visavadia

By Hemma Visavadia

Published: 19/04/2024

- 10:17

Updated: 19/04/2024

- 11:22

Motorhome insurance should also cover costs of vehicle being written off

Experts are urging drivers to make sure they have the correct insurance before travelling abroad or they could face huge charges.

As the summer approaches, motorhome owners and campervan owners need to ensure their vehicle has significant insurance cover to allow them to drive in the EU, as without this, they can risk hefty fines.

While some owners may have a comprehensive policy, some insurers don’t cover as extensively for travel abroad with drivers urged to check their cover before hitting the road.

Insurance should not only include costs of a collision or damage to another vehicle, but also cover damage or even total write-off costs to the motorhome itself.

Do you have a story you'd like to share? Get in touch by

Motorhome parked

Motorhomes must have at least third party insurance to travel across Europe


Owners must manually extend their policy to include comprehensive cover for damage sustained abroad with drivers warned to not assume it is included.

The average cost of a new motorhome in the UK is around £60,000, but the average cost of a motorhome damage claim is roughly £10,150.

Dan Dawson, underwriting manager at Ripe Motorhome Insurance, said: “For motorhome and campervan owners, confusion around this particular policy detail is all too common – and it can be financially devastating in the event of an accident.

“Many of us will be excited to take a well-earned break this year but discovering that your policy doesn’t adequately cover you for damage can be very upsetting.”

Dawson warned that comprehensive doesn’t always mean comprehensive, which can leave motorhome owners stranded and paying for damage themselves.

He added: “We would therefore urge all motorhome and campervan owners to carefully check the small print of their documents or reach out to their provider for clarity.”

Before travelling abroad with a motorhome, drivers must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg gross weight before towing them through some European countries.

Depending on which country is travelled to, drivers may be required to get a separate green for motorhomes and anything towed by a motorised vehicle, including caravans and trailers.

These cards are usually issued by the vehicle insurer for a small fee to cover administration costs but drivers should double-check the rules and whether the policy covers this before travelling.

From September 2021, motorhomes alongside other vehicles are required to display a UK sticker on vehicles.

As for insurance cover, drivers are encouraged to check they are protected for breakdown roadside assistance, vehicle and passenger repatriation, continuation of holiday travel or accommodation.

Drivers should also have extensive medical cover and ski cover if they are going to mountainous areas for an adventure holiday.


motorhomes parked

Motorhomes generally cost around £60,000


According to the Caravan Club, motorhome insurance can provide cover towards the cost of repairs or replacements if a motorhome is damaged in an accident, fire or is stolen.

It detailed: “It must always provide cover for your legal liability towards third parties, so you're covered if you have an accident causing damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property.

“Third-party insurance is a minimum legal requirement if you have a motorhome that is being stored or used on the road.”

You may like