Adil Ray sparks backlash as he brands Unite the Kingdom march ‘worst anti-Muslim hate of my lifetime’

Good Morning Britain presenter Adil Ray shares how he has been targeted by anti-Muslim attacks

|

ITV / GMB

Lydia Davies

By Lydia Davies


Published: 18/05/2026

- 14:19

Updated: 18/05/2026

- 14:54

The broadcaster called out the demonstration at London's Unite The Kingdom march

Adil Ray has sparked fierce debate online after claiming anti-Muslim hatred in Britain is receiving “almost zero coverage” following Saturday’s Unite the Kingdom rally in central London.

The broadcaster shared a message on Instagram describing the demonstrations as “the worst day to be a Muslim in the UK in our lifetime”.


Alongside the post, Mr Ray uploaded a black-and-white text image which read: “Almost zero coverage of the worst anti-Muslim hate we have witnessed in the UK in our lifetime.

“This is deeply concerning and hugely damaging. How the public responds in these immediate days is vital. A lack of response is the worst possible response.”

Adil Ray

Adil Ray sparked fierce debate online

|

GETTY

He also wrote in the caption: “To my Muslim brothers and sisters stay vigilant and be strong.

"To all those who have expressed support on social media, thank you. It’s all we have right now.”

The comments came after tens of thousands of demonstrators descended on London for Tommy Robinson’s Unite the Kingdom rally and a simultaneous pro-Palestine Nakba Day march.

During the Unite the Kingdom event, three women from the French identitarian group Collectif Némésis staged a controversial on-stage protest involving niqabs.

Unite The Kingdom

The women appeared wearing the Islamic face coverings before dramatically removing them

|

TOMMY ROBINSON / X

The women appeared wearing the Islamic face coverings before dramatically removing them to applause and cheers from sections of the crowd.

Mr Ray’s post rapidly divided opinion on social media, with some users supporting his concerns while others accused him of conflating criticism of extremism with hatred towards Muslims.

One critic wrote: “It is not Islamophobia which is on the rise - it is condemnation of Islamic Extremism which is becoming a world problem.”

However, many commenters rallied behind the presenter.

One supporter wrote: “We have normalised the dehumanisation of Muslims. No one bats an eyelid.”

Another added: “It’s selective outrage for certain communities, immediate coverage and condemnation and millions in security funding and Royal visits - and crickets when it comes to Muslims.”

A third supporter posted: “I have friends, Muslim & non-Muslim, who are extremely concerned with the direction this country is heading in and don’t feel the future is safe for them. Scary times ahead.”

Another wrote: “I remember when I used to think I was ‘anti-racist’ because I supported things such as BLM and such, never considering that my prejudices against Muslims and Arab societies were totally biased because of what I would allow myself to believe from what I read.”

Others praised Mr Ray directly for speaking out, with one supporter commenting: “Well said @adilray ...I’m genuinely shocked that absolutely no one reported or mentioned this.”

Police confirmed 43 arrests had been made by Saturday evening, although the Met said both protests had “proceeded largely without significant incident”.

Unite The KingdomThe Unite The Kingdom march took place over the weekend | GETTY

Ahead of the rallies, the Crown Prosecution Service issued fresh guidance warning that offensive banners, chants and symbols shared online could amount to offences of stirring up hatred.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer also condemned what he described as “voices of division”, insisting they did not represent “the country I know”.