Princess Eugenie spotted in Switzerland just one day before Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest

Svar Nanan-Sen

By Svar Nanan-Sen


Published: 20/02/2026

- 13:47

Updated: 20/02/2026

- 14:15

Andrew was released on Thursday evening after spending 11 hours in police custody on his 66th birthday

Princess Eugenie was seen enjoying a half-term ski break in the exclusive Swiss resort of Gstaad just one day before her father, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested.

The princess was accompanied by her husband Jack Brooksbank, their sons August, aged five, and Ernest, who will turn three in May, along with the children's nanny and several friends.


Switzerland holds particular significance for the couple, who originally met on a skiing trip to Verbier, where Andrew and Sarah Ferguson previously owned property.

The family group dined at Restaurant Waldmatte, a traditional Alpine establishment located on the slopes.

Princess Eugenie

Princess Eugenie was seen enjoying a half-term ski break in the exclusive Swiss resort of Gstaad just one day before her father, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested.

|

GETTY

The eatery, known for serving classic Swiss fare including potato rosti and Viennese sausage, features an expansive sun-drenched terrace with mountain views, though the group opted to remain indoors.

A fellow diner who observed the party during their Wednesday lunchtime visit described the scene to Hello: "Eugenie and Jack were with the children, the nanny and a group of friends.

“They were tucked away in a corner and casually dressed in ski gear and jackets, and Jack was wearing a beanie hat as they both browsed the menu."

They added: "I was surprised to see her because I thought she would be keeping a low-profile in light of everything that has been going on."

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor

King Charles's brother was released on Thursday evening after spending 11 hours in police custody on his 66th birthday.

|

REUTERS

Gstaad has long attracted royalty, celebrities and the ultra-wealthy, with Madonna and King Charles among those who have previously visited the resort.

On Thursday morning, Andrew was taken into custody at Wood Farm on the King's Sandringham estate in Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The allegations centre on claims he passed on confidential information whilst serving as a UK trade envoy.

King Charles's brother was released on Thursday evening after spending 11 hours in police custody on his 66th birthday.

King Charles

The King emphasised his support for a thorough and appropriate investigation into the matter, signalling that proper legal procedures must be followed.

|

GETTY

On Thursday afternoon, King Charles issued a statement expressing his "deepest concern" following the arrest of his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The King emphasised his support for a thorough and appropriate investigation into the matter, signalling that proper legal procedures must be followed.

In his statement, the King declared unequivocally that "the law must take its course," while pledging "full and wholehearted support and co-operation" with investigating authorities.

The full statement said: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.

"In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.

"As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.

"Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R."

GB News understands The Prince and Princess of Wales support His Majesty’s statement.