Meghan Markle 'seeks publicity' online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva

WATCH: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle attend Kris Jenner's 70th birthday party

|

GB NEWS

Ben McCaffrey

By Ben McCaffrey


Published: 18/05/2026

- 21:42

The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening

Meghan Markle "seeks publicity" online, a royal commentator has claimed, despite her attack on social media during a powerful address at the Lost Screen Memorial in Geneva on Sunday.

The Duchess of Sussex appeared alongside World Health Organisation director-general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at yesterday's event, where she called for tighter restrictions on online networking platforms.


She declared young people are currently being moulded by platforms "designed to capture attention at any cost: relentless algorithms, exploitative engagement, and endless exposure to harmful content that they are not seeking out".

The duchess also said that "a joyful and athletic young girl" could go online "looking for healthy recipes" but instead find extortionate amounts of "body dysmorphia content and pro-anorexia videos".

The Sussexes have long fought against the dangers and harms of social media.

During their recent tour of Australia, Meghan claimed she had been "the most trolled person in the entire world".

Meanwhile, Prince Harry praised Australia's "epic" decision to ban social media for under-16s.

"Australia took the lead," he told a crowd Down Under. "Your government was the first country in the world to bring about a ban."

Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle 'seeks publicity' online despite her attack on social media during a powerful address at the Lost Screen Memorial

|
GETTY

Australia banned youngsters from using major social media services, including Tiktok, X, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat and Threads last year.

Youngsters are now unable to set up new accounts, and existing profiles were deactivated.

Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told GB News: "The Sussexes have campaigned against online abuse for years, and it is an extremely serious problem.

"When on tour in Australia, Meghan complained she was the most trolled person in the world."

However, he added: "They certainly seek publicity, and they want to control it, having so brutally attacked the royal family."

Hours before she set off for Geneva, Meghan shared a new photo of herself with Princess Lilibet.

The intimate mirror selfie captured the Duchess of Sussex standing in her walk-in wardrobe as her youngest child sat on the floor nearby, seemingly assisting with outfit selection.

While adorable, some fans have led to question the irony of the duchess's powerful words that came just hours after exposing her young daughter to her millions of social media followers.

Meghan Markle, Princess Lilibet

Some fans have led to question the irony of the duchess's comments

|
INSTAGRAM

"The Sussexes are tireless in self-promotion," Mr Fitzwilliams continued.

"Their habit of photographing their children from the back so their faces are usually not revealed is very curious.

"That is obviously up to them, but it is odd.

"However, there are those who believe this is a build-up to when they do show their faces and come over to the UK in July, if Harry gets the automatic security he expects."