Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor urged to 'do the decent thing' and 'remove himself' from the line of succession after arrest

The ex-Prince was detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office on his 66th birthday and released the same day
Don't Miss
Most Read
Latest
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been encouraged to do the "decent thing" and "remove himself" from the line of succession following his arrest.
Speaking to GB News, Shadow Scottish Secretary Andrew Bowie made clear that Parliament would be "well within its rights" to remove the ex-prince from succession if he does not do it himself.
Reacting to the arrest and release of the disgraced royal, Mr Bowie told GB News: "I think that as the King said yesterday, the law must now take its course, and I think that all of us in public life should give the police the time and space to conduct their investigations.
"All of us were shocked yesterday by the news when it flashed up mid morning that the former Prince Andrew had been arrested, and then those images late last night dominating the headlines this morning.
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say
"It's one of these images that I think will stick in the mind of all of us moving forward and come to define this turgid, awful story."
Andrew was arrested by Thames Valley Police on his 66th birthday on Thursday at the King's Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
The former royal was then pictured leaving Aylsham Police Station in the back seat of a car after a 12-hour day of questioning in police custody.
Thames Valley Police told GB News: "Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.

Shadow Scottish Secretary Andrew Bowie has encouraged Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to do the 'decent thing' and remove himself from the line of succession
|GB NEWS / GETTY
"On Thursday (19/2) we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The arrested man has now been released under investigation. We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded."
Encouraging the former prince to do the "decent thing" and voluntarily remove himself from the line of succession, Mr Bowie said: "It seems to run and run regarding Epstein and his relations with some of the highest echelons in British society, so in terms of Andrew's place on the line of succession, I think it would be the decent thing for him to remove himself.
"The investigations haven't concluded, however, and if he is found guilty of this, I think Parliament would be well within its rights to act and remove him from the line of succession.
"But let's remember, he's not been found guilty of anything just yet. He is yet to be charged with anything, so we have let the police investigation run its course and then I think we should all act accordingly."
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

Andrew was seen departing Aylsham Police Station on Thursday evening after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
| REUTERSResponding to the arrest, King Charles said in a statement that unequivocally "the law must take its course", while pledging "full and wholehearted support and co-operation" with investigating authorities.
His Majesty said in a statement: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
"In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
"As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."

Mr Bowie told GB News that we 'cannot hold the King responsible for the actions of of his brother'
|GB NEWS
Echoing the monarch's statement, Mr Bowie told GB News: "It puts the Royal Family into a sense of crisis as it would any other family in the country if your brother or another relation was arrested for serious crimes.
"But it doesn't put into question at all the role of His Majesty or the rest of the Royal Family in their duty and duties to this country in the various guises that they have. That is unquestioned and should be unchallenged.
"The King has been quite clear that the law should take its course and that we should allow the police to conduct their investigation, so that's absolutely what should happen.
"But in the same way that you nor I, nor anybody else watching this morning is responsible for the actions of one of our family members, I don't think we can hold the King responsible for the actions of of his brother."
Andrew has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing amid the ongoing allegations.
The former senior royal was relocated to the remote Norfolk property following his departure from his previous Windsor residence amid reports about his relationship with the late convicted peadophile Jeffrey Epstein.
Appearing in the Epstein files is not evidence of any wrongdoing and Inclusion in the documents does not implicate anyone in Epstein's criminality.
GB News has contacted Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor for comment.









