Police appeal for victims from Channel 4's Married at First Sight to come forward following sexual assault allegations

Police appeal for victims from Channel 4's Married at First Sight to come forward following sexual assault allegations
None |

CHANNEL 4/PA

Olivia Gantzer

By Olivia Gantzer


Published: 19/05/2026

- 18:34

Updated: 19/05/2026

- 18:48

A BBC Panorama investigation aired on Monday evening

The Metropolitan Police has called on potential victims of sexual assault connected to the Channel 4 reality programme Married At First Sight UK to contact them.

The appeal follows allegations from three women who appeared on the dating show, with two claiming they were raped by their on-screen husbands and a third making accusations of sexual misconduct.


The programme, produced by independent company CPL for Channel 4, pairs strangers who meet for the first time at their wedding ceremony.

Though the marriages are not legally recognised, participants share a honeymoon and live together afterwards.

Channel 4

The allegations against the Channel 4 show came to light on Monday

|

CHANNEL 4

None of the women who spoke to BBC Panorama have previously reported their allegations to police, according to reports.

Shona Manderson, who featured in the 2023 series, is the only one of the three women to be publicly identified.

She shared her feelings about participating in the show through an Instagram video, stating: "The short time that I was on the show, I completely lost my light."

She explained that certain behaviours in her relationship were unacceptable, though at the time she made excuses and struggled to recognise the situation clearly.

Shona Manderson

Shona Manderson spoke on the BBC Panorama episode

|

BBC

Ms Manderson said she hoped her involvement with Panorama would spark broader discussions about contestant welfare and drive positive changes to the programme.

Dame Caroline Dinenage, who chairs the Culture, Media and Sport Committee, described the show's format as deeply troubling.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Tuesday, she said: "In the cold light of day, it really is quite horrifying, isn't it?"

She noted that couples who have never previously met are immediately expected to live as married partners, sharing beds and honeymoons while being filmed.

MAFS

Married at First Sight UK first aired in 2015

|

CHANNEL 4

Security minister Dan Jarvis expressed serious concern about the claims, telling BBC Breakfast: "These are shocking and deeply concerning allegations, and of course they must be very thoroughly investigated."

Women's Aid chief executive Farah Nazeer said the Panorama documentary made for "disturbing and sobering viewing," adding that the charity has supported contestants including Ms Manderson over the years.

Channel 4 has pulled all previous series of Married At First Sight UK from its streaming platforms in response to the allegations.

The broadcaster announced it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare last month, prior to the Panorama episode being broadcast.

Law firm Clyde & Co will examine welfare protocols and how the claims were handled, while former BBC One controller Lorraine Heggessey will assess current measures for protecting contributors. Findings are expected within the coming months.

Channel 4 chief executive Priya Dogra said: "The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance."

She added that the broadcaster acted "quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre" when concerns were raised.

Ofcom confirmed it is aware of the serious allegations and will review all available evidence.