Premier League footballer arrested over child sex offences to face no further action
Published: 14/04/2023- 16:22
A footballer arrested on suspicion of child sex offences will face no further action, police have said.
The player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested in 2021 before he was interviewed by officers and released on bail.
Greater Manchester Police said the evidence in the case does not meet the threshold for prosecution.
The player was suspended by the Premier League club he was with at the time of his arrest.
The player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested in 2021
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: "The 33-year-old man who was arrested in connection with an investigation opened in June 2021 will face no further action.
"The investigation team and Crown Prosecution Service have been working together and reached the decision that the evidence available at this time does not reach the threshold set out on the Code for Crown Prosecutors."
A CPS spokesperson confirmed in February that officers had referred the case to prosecutors more than 18 months after the player was arrested.
The player was suspended by his former Premier League club following the allegations
The player was out on police bail until October 19, 2021 before it was extended to January 16, 2022 and then extended again to January 19.
It was extended for a third time, until April 17, 2022 and a statement that month revealed a new date extended his bail to July 16, 2022 as enquiries continued.
He had been on bail following his arrest on July 16, 2021.