Five-time world darts champion moves to UK in bid to save career

Former darts star speaks to Nigel Farage on GB News

Callum Vurley

By Callum Vurley


Published: 18/05/2026

- 21:11

Raymond van Barneveld is renowned as one of the best darts players of all time

Raymond van Barneveld is packing his bags for England in a bold bid to turn around his faltering darts career.

The five-time world champion, 59, is relocating to a spacious five-bedroom property in Milton Keynes alongside his girlfriend Julia.


It's a significant move for the Dutch legend, who has slipped to 38th in the PDC world rankings after enduring a torrid spell on the oche.

Barney will collect the keys to his new home on May 26, though he insists it won't be a permanent goodbye to his homeland.

Raymond van Barneveld has admitted he is chronically injured and life is "incredibly tough"

Raymond van Barneveld has admitted he is chronically injured and life is "incredibly tough"

|

GETTY

"People don't need to worry that I'm gone for good," he told Dutch outlet NU.nl. "My children feared that too. I'll shuttle between The Hague and England every few weeks."

The Dutchman has been brutally honest about his current struggles, describing his form as "completely lost" in recent months.

"Compare me to a footballer," Van Barneveld explained. "He gets injured, recovers, makes his comeback in the reserves, and slowly returns to the first team. Well, I'm chronically injured, especially mentally, and I can't recover. Right now it's incredibly tough for me."

After competing in the Players Championship double-header in Leicester on Monday and Tuesday, the former postman plans to step away from the circuit until September.

"I'll still pick a few, but I'm going to skip multiple tournaments," he said. "Carrying on like this makes no sense whatsoever. Not even if it costs me the World Championship."

The Milton Keynes base offers some clear practical advantages for the 59-year-old.

Most PDC events take place in Britain, so the shorter travel distances should make life considerably easier.

The venue hosting floor tournaments in Milton Keynes is particularly close to his new home, meaning he can reach competitions much faster than before.

Luke Littler and Raymond van Barneveld

Raymond van Barneveld is set to move to the United Kingdom to revive his career

|

GETTY

Julia is equally pleased with the location, with central London just 25 minutes away by public transport.

There's also a professional shake-up on the cards, with Van Barneveld teaming up with new management company Invictus Darts Management.

He'll be working closely with Steve Mottershead, who previously guided his old rival Phil Taylor.

"Steve said recently: your head belongs on darts' Mount Rushmore. You're one of the four faces of the sport," Van Barneveld revealed. "That did open my eyes a bit."

\u200bRaymond van BarneveldRaymond van Barneveld hopes to keep going 'as long as possible' | PA

Despite the mental battles and disappointing results, Van Barneveld has no intention of walking away from the sport he loves.

The six-time PDC major winner remains determined to finish his career on his own terms.

"Because I don't want to be remembered as the wall of complaints," he said. "I want to win tournaments."

The Dutchman still believes a turnaround could happen at any moment, though he acknowledges opponents seem to raise their game whenever they face him.

His only televised PDC major appearance this year came at the UK Open in March, where he suffered a crushing 10-1 defeat to compatriot Wessel Nijman in round four.

But Barney's last deep World Championship run came back in 2017, when he reached the semi-finals.