Keir Starmer lines up move to axe Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from line of succession

The former duke is currently eighth in the line of succession
Don't Miss
Most Read
The Government is considering introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of royal succession, a UK official said on Friday.
The move, which would prevent Mr Mountbatten-Windsor from ever becoming King, would come after the current police investigation has concluded.
Any changes to the line of succession would require consultation and agreement with other countries where King Charles is head of state.
This update has come from a UK official who asked not to be identified.
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say

Keir Starmer lines up move to axe Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from line of succession in major blow
|GETTY
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor remains eighth in line to the throne despite being stripped of his titles last October amid pressure over his ties to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
On Thursday, Mr Mountbatten-Windsor was released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
He has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing.
The Government's proposal comes after some MPs, including the Liberal Democrats and SNP, signalled their support for such legislation.
In October, Downing Street said it had no plans to introduce a law to change the line of succession.
The move would require an act of Parliament, approved by MPs and peers, and also need to be supported by all other Commonwealth countries that have King Charles as their head of state, as it would also affect their lines of succession.
The last time the line of succession was changed by an act of Parliament was in 2013, when the Succession to the Crown Act restored individuals who had previously been excluded because they had married a Catholic.
Furthermore, the last time someone was removed from the line of succession by an act of Parliament was in 1936, when the former King Edward VIII and his descendants were removed due to his abdication.
LATEST ROYAL DEVELOPMENTS
King Charles's brother was released on Thursday evening after spending 11 hours in police custody on his 66th birthday | REUTERSMr Mountbatten-Windsor stepped back from public duties in 2019 following a backlash after an interview with BBC Newsnight about his relationship with Epstein.
Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch said "all of us in public life need to give space" to the police investigation to be carried out.
Her remarks came after shadow Scotland secretary Andrew Bowie told GB News it "would be the decent thing" for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to remove himself from the line of succession.

In October, Downing Street said it had no plans to introduce a law to change the line of succession
|REUTERS
Mr Bowie told the People's Channel: "I think until the investigations have concluded, however, yes of course if he is found guilty of this, I think Parliament would be well within its rights to act and remove him from the line of succession."
The Conservative MP added Mr Mountbatten-Windsor has "not been found guilty of anything just yet, he has yet to be charged with anything, so we have to let the police investigation run its course, and I think we should all act accordingly subsequent to that".










