Bondi Beach shooting suspect living in 'very onerous conditions' claims lawyer after first court appearance

Bondi Beach shooting suspect living in 'very onerous conditions' claims lawyer after first court appearance
Bondi Beach shooting survivor recalls horror of shielding her baby from the gunshots |

GB News

Oliver Partridge

By Oliver Partridge


Published: 16/02/2026

- 10:05

The tragedy was Australia's worst mass shooting in almost 30 years

The accused Bondi Beach gunman has faced court for the first time, two months after he and his father allegedly carried out Australia's worst mass shooting in almost 30 years.

Naveed Akram, 24, appeared in a Sydney court for about five minutes via video link from prison on Monday.


He faces 59 charges relating to the Bondi Beach shooting, including 15 counts of murder and one of committing a terrorist attack.

Naveed and his father, Sajid, allegedly attacked a Hanukkah event at the famous beach on December 14, killing 15 people and injuring more than 40.

Sajid, 50, was shot dead by police at the scene, while Naveed was injured and later transferred from hospital to prison.

Monday was the first time Naveed had been seen and spoken since his arrest, saying just one word when Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked if he heard a discussion about an extension of suppression orders: "Yeah".

The court orders cover the identities of those who survived the shooting, but allow the survivors to self-identify if they wish.

Outside court, Akram's lawyer, Ben Archbold, said it was too early to say what plea his client would enter, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Naveed Akram

Naveed Akram, the suspect in the Bondi Beach attacks

|
SUPPLIED

He said the 24-year-old was doing "as well as can be expected" while in custody in Goulburn supermax prison.

"Everyone knows it's supermax - very onerous conditions," Archbold told journalists.

When asked if Akram had given a police interview, he said: "All we've done is start the process. We're waiting for the brief to be served. There's nothing more I can say”.

Court documents released in late December alleged that the two shooters "meticulously" planned the attack on Bondi Beach for months, and visited the location for reconnaissance two days prior.

Bondi beach shootingTwo gunmen opened fire at Bondi beach during Jewish celebrations | X

One video taken on one of their mobile phones in October was described as showing the men sitting in front of an image of an Islamic State group (IS) flag.

Police reports indicate they could be heard making statements about their motivations for the attack and condemning "the acts of 'Zionists”.

Police said separate footage from October showed the father and son "conducting firearms training in a countryside location", believed to be in New South Wales.

They were seen "firing shotguns and moving in a tactical manner", officials added.

Bondi beach shootingRemarkable footage online showed Ahmed al Ahmed tackling one of the gunmen and taking the rifle | X

Authorities earlier confirmed that two rabbis, a Holocaust survivor and a 10-year-old girl were among the victims of the Bondi Beach attack.

When police swarmed the south-west Sydney home of the alleged gunmen, Akram’s mother, Verena, expressed disbelief that her son could carry out such a massacre, insisting he is a “good boy”.

She told the Sydney Morning Herald: “He doesn’t have a firearm. He doesn’t even go out.

"He doesn’t mix around with friends. He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t smoke, he doesn’t go to bad places - he goes to work, he comes home, he goes to exercise, and that’s it".

Akram is next due in court in April.

More From GB News