Urgent product recall: Sainsbury's issues warning over popular product - 'Do not eat!'
Published: 12/05/2023- 10:00
Updated: 12/05/2023- 11:09
Sainsbury's has urgently recalled one of its popular cheese brands from its shelves over salmonella fears.
According to a food safety watchdog, customers should not eat three specific batches of the supermarket's Mexican Style Chilli Cheddar.
Fears have been raised that the cheese has been contaminated and "may contain" the bacteria.
The bug can trigger serious illness but usually causes a fever, sickness and diarrhoea.
Fears have been raised that the cheese has been contaminated and 'may contain' the bacteria
The supermarket said it has recalled its 200g Mexican style cheese as a "precautionary measure".
It impacts batches of the cheddar with best before dates of June 12, 2023, June 22, 2023 and June 30, 2023.
The warning states: "If you have bought one of the affected batches of this product, we advise you not to open or consume it."
Sainsbury's has advised any customers affected to return the cheese to the store where it was bought for a full refund.
Salmonella are a group of bacteria that contaminates the gut and is often triggered by infected food or water.
On average, it takes from 12 to 72 hours for the symptoms to develop and usually lasts from four to seven days.
The warning comes after more than 30 varieties of cheese were recalled over recent weeks due to listeria fears.
In March, the FSA and UK Health Security Agency said that they had initially found three listeria cases "potentially linked to an outbreak".
Sainsbury's has advised any customers affected to return the cheese to the store where it was bought for a full refund
The types infected had a closely genetically related strain of listeria that has also been found in samples of Baronet cheese made by Wiltshire-based The Old Cheese Room.
Anyone who becomes seriously ill may need to seek hospital treatment as the dehydration caused by the illness can be life-threatening.
The concern over the affected cheeses has sparked fresh warnings over the risks of consuming products made from raw milk, which can contain a host of bacteria.