'Why are they here?' Nike lets men compete in 'women's only' running event

Nike After Dark Tour

The 10k race was held in London on November 23

|

GETTY

Isabelle Parkin

By Isabelle Parkin


Published: 30/11/2025

- 22:57

Nike described the After Dark event as being about 'championing women runners'

Nike has faced criticism after allowing men to participate in a night race aimed at women.

The sports brand held the final stop of its After Dark Tour in London last week following races in six other major cities including Sydney, Los Angeles and Shanghai.


On its website, Nike said the 10k race "will offer women an opportunity to test their limits and redefine what’s possible".

It adds: "Curated to bring women runners together, along with the communities that support them, Nike is inviting women to take on their next challenge and reclaim the night."

But some participants were left puzzled after they spotted men running alongside them.

One runner, Mara Hafezi, described it as "really disappointing".

"The moment you have men involved, whether it’s two or twenty, it’s no longer a women’s-only race," the 35-year-old told The Times.

"There were people asking, ‘Why are they here?’ I just couldn’t understand it."

Nike After Dark Tour

Nike said the event would 'offer women an opportunity to test their limits'

|

GETTY

Fellow participant Harriet Day told the newspaper she was "quite shocked" to see men there, adding "I just completely wasn't expecting it".

While Nike says the race is about "championing women runners" and "designed to be the ultimate girls’ weekend", it does not state that men are not allowed to take part.

SheRaces, an organisation which advocates for female athletes, said its inbox had been "rather full" with feedback about the event.

It claimed members of Nike staff were among the men who took part in the race.

Nike After Dark Tour

Some runners were left puzzled after spotting male participants at the event

|

GETTY

The group wrote in a post to social media: "An event that was meant to uplift and empower women, asking us to 'reclaim the night' when so many of us feel uncomfortable running in the dark.

"Except Nike let men take part. Including their staff. Who should have known better if they really understood WHY this race needed to be held (except as a way to plug product)."

The organisation pointed to research it had carried out earlier this year which found 53 per cent of women who took part in single-sex races felt more safe and secure, while 66 per cent said it was a more enjoyable atmosphere.

"Dear Men: Even if the organiser says 'it’s ok', It’s not," SheRaces added.

"Even if your partner wants you there – please do not disrespect other athletes in the race.

"There are thousands of mixed races you can take part in instead together."

GB News has contacted Nike for comment.

More From GB News