Tennis stars planning protest during media day ahead of French Open
Aryna Sabalenka shares that 'becoming world number one means a lot to me'
|PA/USTA
The French Open takes place from May 24 to June 7
Don't Miss
Most Read
Tennis stars are reportedly planning to protest during media day ahead of the upcoming French Open.
The demonstration would see competitors walk out of press conferences after precisely 15 minutes, declining any subsequent interview requests from journalists.
Media Day is a crucial promotional opportunity ahead of any Grand Slam, as reporters gather material for preview coverage.
The planned action reported by The Guardian stems from an intensifying row over prize money allocation, with leading ATP and WTA stars pushing for a larger share of tournament revenues and greater influence over decision-making.
A formal boycott of the French Open remains off the table for now.
The dispute first surfaced publicly before the Italian Open, when top players from both tours reportedly sent correspondence to Roland Garros officials voicing their frustrations with this year's prize money arrangements.
Grand Slam tournaments currently allocate approximately 15 per cent of their revenue to competitors, a figure that falls short of the roughly 22 per cent distributed at regular ATP and WTA events.
The gap becomes even starker when compared with other professional sports, where athletes typically receive between 40 and 50 per cent of total earnings.

Tennis stars will cut short interviews at the French Open
|GETTY
LATEST SPORTS NEWS
A statement from the FFT said: "We regret the players' decision, which impacts all of the tournament's stakeholders: the media, broadcasters, the FFT and the entire tennis community, all of whom follow each edition of Roland Garros with great enthusiasm.
"The French Tennis Federation recognises the importance of the players' contribution to the tournament's success, and wishes to maintain close ties with them."
Federation officials have emphasised their commitment to ongoing dialogue, noting they proposed discussions with players as early as the beginning of May.
A meeting between Roland Garros officials, FFT representatives and agents acting for several leading players is scheduled for Friday in Paris.

Aryna Sabalenka has previously spoken about boycotting tennis tournaments
| GETTYTournament director Amelie Mauresmo and her staff are reportedly working to prevent further escalation before the main draw commences.
Aryna Sabalenka spoke openly about the possibility of a boycott whilst competing in Rome.
The world number one said she feels boycotting is "going to be the only way to kind of fight for our rights".
Iga Swiatek has taken a more cautious position, recognising the frustration surrounding player compensation whilst viewing a full boycott as an excessive response.

The French Open takes place from May 24 to June 7
|GETTY
Novak Djokovic has expressed solidarity with his fellow competitors' broader concerns about the current arrangements.
However, the Serbian has distanced himself from any key role in the movement, stating he would stand alongside the group whilst remaining outside a leading position.
The dispute continues to simmer as players prepare various awareness-raising activities throughout the week leading up to the French Open.
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter










