By Ben Chapman
Published: 02/02/2023- 14:09
Updated: 02/02/2023- 16:22
Trending on GB News
All charges of attempted rape, assault and coercive control against Mason Greenwood have today been dropped.
The 21-year-old Manchester United striker was first arrested in January last year.
Greenwood was due to stand trial in November, but the Crown Prosecution Service has today dropped all charges against him.
Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s Head of Public Protection, said: "Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.
“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
"Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.
“I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate GMP’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them.
"An ever increasing number of officers are receiving specialist training and the force is more consistently utilising tools, available via the criminal justice system, to keep people safe and care for victims.
Mason Greenwood was an important member of Man United's first team squad before his suspension
“If you feel you are or might be a victim, please don’t let this case put you off asking for help.”
The England international last appeared in court in November 2022, where a trial date was set for November 23 this year.
The alleged offences were said to have taken place between November 1, 2018 and October 15, 2022, and related to one woman.
The young forward was accused of “repeatedly engaging” in controlling and coercive behaviour for nearly four years.
He was also charged with attempting to rape the woman on October 21, 2021, before allegedly assaulting her between December 12, 2021, and December 31, 2021.
Greenwood was removed from popular video games FIFA 22 and Football Manager 2022 in the wake of the allegations against him
The footballer was remanded in custody after being charged by police on October 15.
He was then released by a judge on the condition he does no contact witnesses, including the complainant, and resides at an address in Bowdon.
He was arrested at his £15,000-a-month rented home in Trafford last January before spending three nights in custody.
Man United suspended him but continued to pay the 21-year-old his £75,000-a-week salary.
In the wake of the allegations, sponsors Nike dropped Greenwood and he was removed from popular video games FIFA 22 and Football Manager 2022.
Teammates unfollowed him on Instagram, while merchandise bearing his name became unavailable via official club channels.