PGA Tour urged to make drastic rule change after Aaron Rai wins PGA Championship

WATCH NOW: Pictures as Aaron Rai wins PGA Championship

Jack Otway

By Jack Otway


Published: 19/05/2026

- 09:40

The Briton stunned the world with his triumph at Aronimink on Sunday

The PGA Tour has been urged to make a sweeping change to its signature events after Aaron Rai stunned the golfing world by winning the PGA Championship in sensational fashion.

The 31-year-old from Wolverhampton produced the performance of his life at Aronimink Golf Club, surging to his maiden major title with a breathtaking closing stretch.


Rai, who began the week with little fanfare compared to stars such as Scottie Scheffler and Rory McIlroy, played his final 10 holes in six-under par, including a crucial eagle at the ninth.

It was a display of nerve, precision and composure under immense pressure, and his victory quickly prompted renewed debate about whether the PGA Tour's current format is shutting out too many deserving players.

The loudest call for change came from Johnson Wagner, who did not hold back during CBS's post-tournament coverage.

"The signature event model stinks," Wagner said.

"Aaron Rai was playing in Myrtle Beach last week.

The PGA Tour has been urged to make a sweeping change to its signature events after Aaron Rai stunned the golfing world by winning the PGA Championship in sensational fashion

The PGA Tour has been urged to make a sweeping change to its signature events after Aaron Rai stunned the golfing world by winning the PGA Championship in sensational fashion

|

GETTY

"He comes to the PGA Championship and, if you're good enough to win a PGA Championship, and we're playing for $20 million at Quail Hollow where there are only 72 guys and he's not in it?

"Make the fields in these PGA Tour events bigger.

"If you want to shrink them down to 120 from 156, I'm fine with it. But they've got to be 120-man fields."

Aaron Rai embraces his wife following his PGA Championship winAaron Rai embraces his wife following his PGA Championship win | GETTY
Aaron Rai graphicFive things to know about Aaron Rai | GETTY/GB NEWS

Wagner's central argument was simple: if a player is capable of winning one of golf's four majors, he should not be excluded from the PGA Tour's richest and most prestigious regular-season events.

Rai's triumph also underlined how highly respected he is among his peers.

Though not one of the longest hitters on tour, his strategic approach and elite ball-striking make him especially dangerous on firm, demanding courses.

Now ranked world No 15, Rai has firmly established himself among the elite.

The good news for Wagner is that change may already be on the horizon.

New PGA Tour chief executive Brian Rolapp outlined plans earlier this year to move away from limited-field, no-cut events.

Aaron Rai poses with his trophy following his PGA Championship winAaron Rai poses with his trophy following his PGA Championship win | GETTY

"A key consideration has been establishing more consistent fields to the PGA TOUR," Rolapp said.

"This means moving away from small fields and no-cut events.

"Our best events will have larger fields. Ideally, we are targeting something closer to 120-player fields with a cut."

Rolapp believes larger fields will improve competitive fairness while giving fans a better chance to watch more top players in action.

Rai's extraordinary victory has now provided the strongest possible evidence in support of that vision.

Whether he can win a second major at next month's US Open remains to be seen.