Prince William and Princess Kate 'shocked' by Welsh floods as they send 'support to the communities' affected

Prince William appears on Dancing with the Stars |

ABC

Lewis Henderson

By Lewis Henderson


Published: 29/11/2025

- 15:02

Updated: 29/11/2025

- 15:13

The royal couple praised the 'remarkably resilient communities' coming together

Prince William and Princess Kate have expressed their support for people in Wales affected by the devastating impact of Storm Claudia.

The Prince and Princess of Wales shared their shock at the situation, as they told residents that they are in their "thoughts".


In a message from Kensington Palace sent to Paul Matthews, chief executive of Monmouthshire County Council, William said: "Catherine and I were shocked to see the devastating floods that hit the region and wanted to offer our support to the communities of North Monmouthshire as you work to repair and rebuild your homes and livelihoods.

"From the business owners of Monmouth to the resolute residents of Skenfrith and the farmers of Abergavenny, these remarkably resilient communities will come together, as before, to support one another as you get back on your feet.

Prince William and Princess Kate

Prince William and Princess Kate are 'shocked' by the flooding in Wales.

|

PA

"We must also thank the emergency responders who acted with speed and the professionalism needed to keep everyone safe when the water overwhelmed.

"The long process of recovery will be hard and fraught with worry each time the weather turns, but please know you are all very much in our thoughts at this time."

Mr Matthews shared the letter on Faceboo, saying: "I received this letter this morning from His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. It was written to me, but it is really for all the good people on this group.

"Your efforts are seen and appreciated by so many. Please share with your friends and neighbours."

Monmouth

Monmouth was severely hit by flooding caused by Storm Claudia.

|

PA

Floods battered Monmouthshire earlier this month due to Storm Claudia, hitting the town of Monmouth, where a major incident was announced on November 15.

Skenfrith and Abergavenny were also affected by the rising waters.

Monmouthshire County Council leader Mary Anne Brocklesby praised the "true spirit" of the community following the flooding.

The council acknowledged the contributions of volunteers, emergency responders, and public service workers involved in the response effort, including those who organised shelter, cleared debris, and pumped out floodwater.

Prince William

William wrote the message addressed from both him and Kate.

|
PA

It follows the Prince of Wales making a surprise appearance at a Wiltshire village pub, leaving staff surprised.

William arrived for a working lunch during official business for the Duchy of Cornwall.

The 43-year-old prince's party had reserved two tables at The Walnut Tree Inn in Mere approximately one week beforehand, booking for nine guests without revealing their identity.

The future king sat with five Duchy associates at one table whilst his three security personnel occupied a separate table.

Prince William

Prince William's team leave £75 tip at Wiltshire pub before posing for group photograph.

|
FACEBOOK: THE WALNUT TREE INN

The group had specifically requested private seating and were accommodated in a secluded area of the establishment, according to pub owner William Friend-James.

The future king opted for the establishment's homemade burger, which features Emmental cheese, lettuce, tomato, gherkin, coleslaw and relish served in a brioche bun, priced at £18.95.

He paired the meal with lemonade whilst his dining companions selected dishes including homemade pie and sea bass.

The prince dressed casually for the occasion, sporting a grey jumper, blue jeans and green Wellington boots, having arrived directly from visiting a nearby Duchy estate.

The working lunch lasted approximately 90 minutes to two hours, during which the group conducted their meeting undisturbed.