Mountains of waste piling up on land owned by King as 25,000 tons of rubbish dumped just yards from homes

Lewis Henderson

By Lewis Henderson


Published: 17/02/2026

- 10:08

A local MP has called for the King to help with the clean-up as it is his 'moral obligation'

Mountains of waste are piling up on land owned by King Charles, with more than 25,000 tons of rubbish sitting just yards from homes and schools.

Excavators at the tip in Bickershaw, Wigan, appear to be moving rubbish from one area of the site to land possessed by the Duchy of Lancaster.


Residents near the dump said they were assured by the Environment Agency that a major criminal investigation was taking place.

A new petition has been launched by residents calling on the King to clear the site, with over 20,000 individuals already signing.

King Charles, dump siteMountains of waste are piling up on land owned by the King | GBNEWS/PA

The Duchy has offered to "hand over the land" to Wigan Council, but insists it has no responsibility to clear it up.

It states that only 30 per cent of the site belongs to the King's estate, but the Environment Agency said the Duchy owns the "majority parcel" of the dump.

The MP for Makerfield and Parliamentary Secretary for the Cabinet Office, Josh Simmons, has previously said he "knows how angry residents are about the waste site", adding that the Duchy "seems to be getting off scot-free".

Mr Simmons said that the King should have a "moral obligation" to help clear the illegal dump.

Dump siteOnly 30 per cent of the dump belongs to the King's estate | GBNEWS

A spokesman for The Duchy of Lancaster told Channel 4 News: "The Duchy remains fully committed to working with Wigan Council and the Environment Agency to address this issue and to counter the impact of illegal waste tipping."

Chair of the House of Lords Environment Committee, Baroness Sheehan, weighed in on the matter, saying: "Well, I am gobsmacked really and, when I saw it, it was just so filthy and so horrible, it's a living nightmare for the residents and it just seems as though there's no end in sight.

"That there is now new activity being seen there. It's just awful for them.

"My message to the Environment Agency is that they really need to urgently clear this site because it is going to attract new activity."

King Charles

A spokesman for The Duchy of Lancaster told Channel 4 News: 'The Duchy remains fully committed to working with Wigan Council and the Environment Agency to address this issue and to counter the impact of illegal waste tipping'

|
GETTY

She continued: "They need to clear the site, they need to secure the site thereafter. I do think CCTV would be a good deterrent - if they can get one up that's effective.

"It does shock me given the history of the site, given what's already there and given that we know that the waste criminals who operate sites like this are unscrupulous actually and they will do anything for more money.

"We have taken robust action at this site, including launching a major criminal investigation and interviewing individuals under caution.

"A series of interventions have already been made to ensure there has been no additional waste dumped illegally. As this is an active criminal investigation, we are unable to comment on specifics of the site."

Baroness Sheehan

Baroness Sheehan has called on the Environment Agency 'to urgently clear this site'

|

WIKIMEDIACOMMONS

The news of the dump comes after the King Sandringham estate was forced to close due to snowy conditions battering the area.

The royal estate, which is located close to the Norfolk coastline, had to shut on Sunday afternoon after being hit by sleet and snow.

Despite sunny conditions on Saturday, the weather took a turn for the worse as visitors had to escape the conditions.

The estate is currently under a yellow warning for ice from the Met Office, with residents told to expect rain, sleet and hill snow.