Royal Family invite the public to 'explore Royal Archive' but make embarrassing blunder

Lewis Henderson

By Lewis Henderson


Published: 29/11/2025

- 10:50

The mistake was made on the royals social media page

The Royal Family has invited the public to look through sections of the Royal Archive, but made an embarrassing blunder.

Sharing news about the selection of documents on social media, the Royal Family told fans on Instagram to follow the link in its account's bio to "find out more".


Upon clicking the link, users have been taken to a blank page, with one sentence reading: "The requested page could not be found."

In an embarrassing blunder, www.royal.uk/Archive2025 is incorrect, with the correct link being www.royal.uk/Archive25.

King Charles, Queen Camilla

The Royal Family made the embarrassing blunder on its Instagram.

|
GETTY

When fans do find themselves on the correct webpage, they are taken to a series of "unique and rarely-seen items" put together by a team from the Royal Archives.

The Royal Family's team wrote on its website: "The iconic Round Tower of Windsor Castle is home to the Royal Archives - a unique collection of documents relating to the history of the British Monarchy over the last 250 years.

"Each year, we share items from the Royal Archives as part of the UK-wide initiative 'Explore Your Archive Week'.

"The team at the Royal Archives have selected material according to the themes set by The Archives and Records Association for the 2025 campaign.

Royal Archives

The link sent people to a webpage stating: 'The requested page could not be found'.

|

GB NEWS

"We hope that these unique and rarely-seen items help you understand more about the work of the archives and the documents they preserve, as well as the history and work of the Royal Family."

The archives feature eight different sections separated into: conservation, beauty, medieval, silence, pets, digital, inclusion and anniversaries.

Details inside include a manuscript purchased by King George V in 1911, written in Norman French and a diary entry from the late King on November 11, 1920, when he unveiled the Cenotaph.

It also features words from Queen Victoria when she was 13 years old and King George V describing the day of his Silver Jubilee on May 6, 1935.

Cenotaph on Whitehall, London

The artefacts featured details of a diary entry from King George V on November 11, 1920, when he unveiled the Cenotaph.

|
PA

The Royal Family have been capitalising on the opportunity to grow their global fan base through social media platforms, according to a former royal butler.

King Charles and Queen Camilla are represented by the Royal Family's official social media accounts on Facebook, X and Instagram.

The Prince and Princess of Wales also have their own social media accounts and regularly post personal messages on their online platforms.

The former royal butler told GB News that senior royals are embracing social media and using it to their advantage.

King Charles and Queen CamillaThe former royal butler told GB News that senior royals are embracing social media and using it to their advantage. | GETTY

Grant Harold said: "The family has a massive fan base. They've got a global fan base, probably more than in the UK.

"Even other countries love the family, too, and that's also down to social media.

"Fifty years ago, 40 years ago, 30 years ago, everyone knew the Royal Family, and what they were doing, the way they had been in the past.

"Now the world knows about them first, before you even read a bit of the news. It has given their old family a whole new platform, and they're embracing that to their advantage."