Princess Anne visits prison just hours after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

Dorothy Reddin

By Dorothy Reddin


Published: 19/02/2026

- 16:10

Updated: 19/02/2026

- 16:48

The Princess Royal visited a prison in Leeds as part of a pre-arranged royal engagement on Thursday, the same day her younger brother was taken into custody

Undertaking a royal engagement which almost seems too ironic to be a coincidence, Princess Anne went on a pre-arranged visit to a prison in Leeds today, just hours after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested.

The Princess Royal made the trip to a West Yorkshire prison on Thursday afternoon, with roughly 12 members of staff standing by the road hoping to catch a glimpse of the King's younger sister.


Two black Range Rovers, one believed to contain Princess Anne, arrived at HMP Leeds at 2.30pm, escorted by police.

It comes after Mr Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations he shared confidential Government documents.

Mr Mountbatten-Windsor has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing amid the ongoing allegations.

Roughly 12 staff members from nearby charities stood by the road hoping to catch a glimpse of the Princess Royal as she drove onto the site.

Last year, King Charles stripped his younger brother of his title of prince and forced him out of his Windsor home, seeking to distance Andrew from the Royal Family over his links to the Epstein scandal.

Thames Valley Police told GB News on Thursday morning: "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

Princess Anne

Princess Anne visits prison just hours after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

|

GETTY / PA

"The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance.

"Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Princess Anne

Staff members could be seen watching Princess Anne's car arrive

|

PA

It is understood that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.

King Charles subsequently issued a personal message, stating: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.

"In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.

"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R."

GB News understands the Prince and Princess of Wales support His Majesty’s statement.

King Charles and Queen Camilla both stepped out today on separate engagements, as well as Princess Anne.

The Queen arrived for an engagement in Westminster less than two hours after police confirmed Mr Mountbatten-Windsor had been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Wearing a velvet, navy coat, Camilla was greeted by representatives of Sinfonia Smith Square, where she attended a lunchtime orchestral concert.

Meanwhile, Charles continued with his planned ambassadorial in-person audiences in the Throne Room at St James’s Palace on Thursday.

He was pictured welcoming the ambassador of El Salvador, Francisco Lima Mena, as part of a series of audiences at the royal residence.

The King later visited the British Fashion Council in central London after opening London Fashion Week.