Pippa Middleton inquiry hits a standstill as Catherine's sister celebrates ninth wedding anniversary

Cameron Walker reports live from Italy during the Princess of Wales's tour

|

GB NEWS

Dorothy Reddin

By Dorothy Reddin


Published: 20/05/2026

- 09:18

James and Pippa Matthews have been feuding with local residents over a pathway running through their estate

The inquiry surrounding Pippa and James Matthews's property has hit a standstill until next week, a spokeswoman for West Berkshire Council has confirmed to GB News, as Catherine's younger sister celebrates her ninth wedding anniversary today.

On May 20, 2017, the Princess of Wales's younger sister walked down the aisle at St Mark's Church in Englefield, Berkshire, to marry Mr Matthews, a British hedge fund manager and former professional racing driver.


They have since welcomed three children together: Arthur, six, Grace, five, and Rose, three.

In 2022, the Matthews family moved to Barton Court, a 32-room Georgian country mansion in Kintbury, West Berkshire, after previously living in Chelsea.

In recent months, however, Mr and Mrs Matthews have been feuding with local residents over Mill Lane, a pathway running through the Barton Court Estate.

35 local residents, with backing from The Ramblers' Association, petitioned for the route to be officially recognised as open to walkers.

West Berkshire Council ruled in favour of the application, leading Mr Matthews to challenge its decision.

A hearing began last week to decide whether Mill Lane should be designated a public right of way.

Pippa Middleton

The Pippa Middleton inquiry has hit a standstill, West Berkshire Council has announced

|

GETTY

However, a spokeswoman from West Berkshire Council confirmed to GB News: "The inquiry has now paused until Thursday 28th May when it will resume at Coronation Hall, Kintbury."

She added: "When the inquiry resumes further witnesses will come forward to make statements and be open to cross-examination by both parties, and the Inspector."

Villagers in the Kintbury community argue that Mill Lane was traditionally accessible under previous ownership, allowing them to bypass Station Road, which lacks a pavement and is considered hazardous.

However, the Matthews family contests this, arguing that the path has never been public land and raising concerns about privacy and safety at their home.

Pippa Middleton

Pippa Middleton has three children: Arthur, six, Grace, five, and Rose, three

|

GETTY

Several witnesses came forward last week to support the Matthews family's position that the public rarely used the pathway.

Lady Victoria Conran, Sir Terence's widow, who resided at the estate from 1992 until 2022, told the inquiry last Thursday she recalled seeing just one person walking the route during her three decades there - a woman pushing a pram whom her estate manager was instructed to inform that she was on private land.

Her son Max Gallagher, who lived at Barton Court briefly between 2022 and 2023, testified that signage "stated private or words to that effect" had always been present.

In his witness statement, Mr Matthews argued that maintaining public access would create security "implications" for his family: "There are implications for my family, due to their high public profile, which means there is a need for a higher level of security than would otherwise be the case if the circumstances were different."

Before moving in, he arranged for electric security gates to be installed at both ends of the path, along with signs reading "Private: No Public Access" and "No Trespassing."

Mr Matthews acknowledged his "first hand knowledge" of how the route has been used historically remains "limited."

Local opposition to the closure has been vocal, with Liberal Democrat councillor Tony Vickers accusing the couple of "alienating" the community.

Pippa and James Matthews

Pippa and James Matthews tied the knot on May 20, 2017

|

GETTY

A spokesman for the Matthewses told the Telegraph: "For as long as records exist, there has never been a footpath or public right of way on the land currently under discussion.

"For decades past there has always been signage pointing out this is the driveway to a private property, with no public access. There are other clearly marked footpaths nearby.

"Contrary to media reports the previous owners at the property from as far back as the 1970s, did not allow public access to the land under discussion. It has always been private property."