Mandelson files release date DELAYED as Labour accused of 'yet another cover up'
WATCH NOW: Piers Pottinger warns 'more to come' from Mandelson files could damage Wes Streeting
|GB NEWS
Ministers were dragged before MPs to face a grilling
Don't Miss
Most Read
The release date for the next batch of Mandelson files has been delayed after Labour was accused of "yet another cover up".
This morning, ministers were dragged to the Commons to respond to accusations it had "withheld and redacted key information" regarding the appointment of Peter Mandelson as UK Ambassador to the US.
Sir Lindsay Hoyle allowed the urgent question on the matter, which was tabled by a member of the intelligence and security committee (ISC).
The group of MPs is tasked with overseeing the publication of the materials following the Tories' Humble Address, the mechanism to force Labour's hand into releasing the papers, earlier this year.
Chief Secretary to the Prime Minister, Darren Jones, revealed that the second batch could have been released this Thursday.
However, the release date has been postponed with the PM's right-hand man admitting the second lot of materials will not be published until June.
However, the deputy chairman of the committee, Sir Jeremy Wright, claimed information had been redacted for "other reasons" while other aspects were withheld.
Foreign Affairs Committee chairwoman Dame Emily Thornberry chimed in, claiming that "obstacles" hindered the efforts of her committee and the ISC to "get to the truth".

Ministers were dragged before MPs to face a grilling
|PARLIAMENT
Last week, the ISC said the Government was redacting information "far too broadly".
While some redactions were previously agreed on between No10 and the committee, Downing Street's headache from the inquiry into the disgraced peer has persisted.
The committee has called on No10 for assurances that such redactions were made "in the spirit of the Humble Address".
Today's announcement of the delay has triggered claims of a "cover up", with Tory frontbencher Neil O'Brien taking aim at the redactions.
LABOUR LATEST:

The next batch of documents will be released in June
|GETTY
The Shadow Minister asserted MPs had given the Government "a very clear instruction" that the only documents which could be redacted were those which risked prejudicing UK national security or international security.
"All of those documents were to be referred to the ISC," he added.
Mr O'Brien said: "So, for (Sir Jeremy Wright) to say that the Government has applied redactions to the documents sent to the ISC beyond the scope agreed by the House, and has also withheld documents entirely from the ISC, is an extremely serious matter that completely undermines what this House agreed.”
Mr Jones insisted the Government had followed the "normal approach" to redactions.
He assured MPs the publication of names and contact details of junior officials would not be in the public interest.
The Bristol North West MP said the second batch of documents will be delivered alongside a methodology to outline the process followed.
"It will be clear from the published information the basis on which content has been redacted," he told the Commons.
"The targeted redactions made to the material, beyond those made relevant to national security or international relations, have been made in line with clear precedent set by previous administrations in responding to humble addresses."










