Second body is pulled from water in major rescue mission off British coast after man, 67, dies

WATCH: GB News reports as two men go missing off the Devon coast over Christmas
|GB NEWS

Rough winter seas had earlier threatened search efforts - with local rescue teams unable to deploy their boats
Don't Miss
Most Read
Trending on GB News
A second body has been recovered from the water during a major rescue mission off the Yorkshire coast, police have said.
A man, 67, had earlier died after being pulled from the sea by emergency services responding to reports of people in the water at Withernsea, Humberside Police said.
A hunt is ongoing for one more person who entered the water on Friday afternoon, and HM Coastguard, Yorkshire Ambulance Service and Humberside Fire and Rescue remain in the area, according to police.
On Friday afternoon, the coastguard had mounted an urgent search after responding to reports of "a number of people in difficulty" in the sea.
HM Coastguard received the initial alert at approximately 3.10 pm on Friday regarding the incident at the coastal town, situated roughly 18 miles east of Hull.
The RNLI at Withernsea confirmed that the situation remained "ongoing" as emergency services faced challenging conditions along the seafront.
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say
An HM Coastguard spokesman outlined the scale of the response: "An HM Coastguard search and rescue helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft have been sent as well as Coastguard Rescue Teams from Withernsea, Hornsea and Hull.
"The RNLI's inshore lifeboat from Withernsea and all-weather lifeboat from Bridlington are assisting, as well as Hornsea Inshore Rescue."
Medical resources have also been deployed to the scene, with Yorkshire Ambulance Service dispatching crews alongside an air ambulance.
Humberside Police and Humberside Fire and Rescue are additionally in attendance, contributing to what has become a substantial multi-agency operation along the coastline.

A major rescue mission is underway after a 'number of people' went missing in the sea near Withernsea, Yorkshire
|GETTY
Local photographer Darrin Stevens, who lives nearby, described the seafront as "wall to wall" with emergency personnel.
He said: "It's very, very cold. We live by the sea so we know what it's like. The tide has been very rough all day."
Mr Stevens continued: "It's been freezing cold - going out to take pictures my hands were frozen.
"If people are in the sea I fear for them," he told ITV News.
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

The operation is still underway amid plunging tempreatures
|GETTY
The rough conditions had earlier threatened search efforts when Hornsea Inshore Rescue revealed they were unable to deploy their vessel.
In a Facebook post, the organisation said: "Called out, unable to launch lifeboat due to horrendous conditions and three metre waves breaking on our slipway which would knock the tractor and trailer sideways off the ramp."
Despite this setback, the team confirmed: "Our 4x4 vehicle (is) en route to Withernsea with casualty care crew."
Temperatures in the seaside town had plummeted to freezing point as the rescue efforts continued.
East Riding of Yorkshire Council had earlier activated its severe weather emergency protocol.
The latest incident comes after Matthew Upham, 63, and a second man in his 40s went missing during a Christmas swim at Budleigh Salterton in Devon.
Several other swimmers were brought safely to shore, with one taken to hospital as a precaution.
The two men are said to have entered the water after spotting a woman struggling in the sea.
Mr Upham and the second swimmer, who has not been publicly named, vanished while attempting to help her.
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter
More From GB News









