Iran's new Supreme Leader 'unconscious and unable to be involved in decision-making' after US strike that killed his father

WATCH NOW: Pete Hegseth says Ayatollah left 'wounded and disfigured' as he issues challenge Supreme Leader
|GB NEWS
The new Ayatollah has caused suspicion about his whereabouts ever since his ascension to the leadership role
Don't Miss
Most Read
Latest
Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei is being treated for a "severe" condition that has left him "unconscious and unable to be invovled in decision making".
The Ayatollah has long been rumoured to be severely injured following the initial strikes from the US and Israel on February 28 - the same rockets which killed his father, Ali Khamenei.
But his lack of public appearance has spurred on rumours the new leader has fallen into a coma and is "severely disfigured" - a belief fuelled by US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth's musing last month.
Now, in a US and Israeli intelligence memo shown to The Times, has revealed the Supreme Leader is receiving medical treatment for his state in Iran's religious capital south of Tehran.
A document, circulated by allies, reads: "Mojtaba Khamenei is being treated in Qom in a severe condition, unable to be involved in any decision making by the regime."
The same memo outlines plans for the upcoming funerals of both father and son in the same city.
It revealed plans for a "large mausoleum in Qom" for more than one grave. As a result, officials have thought the plans were said to involve both the younger and elder Khamenei.
The new Supreme Leader is yet to be seen despite stepping into his father's shoes after an "election" at the start of March.

Iran’s new supreme leader, Mojtaba Khamenei, was believed to be in a coma
| REUTERSTwo state addresses - both of which were statements the Iranian state insisted were penned by the 56-year-old - were read out with merely an official photo of the leader being shown.
On Monday, Tehran published an AI video of the leader in a warm room and assessing Israel's nuclear power plant.
Still, officials have admitted the leader was injured in the strikes, which killed his parents as well as his wife and son back in February.
Nevertheless, such moves from the Islamic Republic have merely drawn attention to the leader's lingering absence in the public domain, fuelling worldwide theories about Khamenei's welfare.
LATEST ON IRAN:

The burial for the former Ayatollah is in the works
| GettyLast month, Iran's leader was understood to have lost at least one leg in the incident and is believed to have sustained severe internal injuries, possibly to his stomach or liver, leaving him in a coma.
During a press conference where the US laid into the state of Iran's military capability, US War Secretary Pete Hegseth jumped on Khamenei's lack of public appearance.
Just a day after the first strange written statement, Mr Hegseth said: "He put out a statement yesterday. A weak one, actually, but there was no voice.
"And there was no video. It was a written statement," he mocked.
"Iran has plenty of cameras and plenty of voice recorders. Why a written statement?" the US War Secretary added. "I think you know why."
"He's scared, he's injured, he's on the run and he lacks legitimacy. It's a mess for them. Who's in charge? Iran may not even know."
His rumoured inability has raised concerns over the "real" leadership of Iran while negotiations continue between Washington and Tehran.
US President Donald Trump has claimed negotiations are still in the works, but admitted he was not in direct talks with the Supreme Leader.










