Man charged for firearm offence as Australian police search property of missing four-year-old

Missing four-year-old Gus Lamont

Gus Lamont, 4, was reported missing in September

|

South Australia Police

Oliver Partridge

By Oliver Partridge


Published: 16/02/2026

- 11:19

More than 160 police officers were deployed on the search for Gus

A 75-year-old has been charged with firearm offences at the property where a four-year-old went missing.

Gus Lamont was last seen in his family home on September 27, with South Australian Police since investigating at the Lamont family's remote Oak Park Station, about 40km south of Yunta.


Last week, police investigating the tragic mystery said they have ruled out the possibilities that the toddler was abducted, or had wandered off from the huge sheep farm property in the Australian Outback.

Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae, the acting officer in charge of the force's major crime investigation branch, confirmed that a 75-year-old has now been charged at the property - unrelated to the disappearance of the four-year-old.

A police spokesman said: "Members attached to Task Force Horizon conducting inquiries at Oak Park Station in connection with the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont on September 27 have concluded searching for evidence today.

“Inquiries are ongoing and it is anticipated that Task Force Horizon detectives will remain in the area tomorrow, Tuesday February 17. An update on the search activities will be provided as they progress.

“As a result of a previous search at Oak Park Station, Task Force Horizon detectives have today arrested a 75-year-old from Grampus and charged them with firearm offences. They have been bailed to appear in the Peterborough Magistrates Court on May 6.

“Acting officer in charge of major crime investigation branch Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae said the charges are not related to the disappearance of Gus Lamont, nor a previous incident at Oak Park Station in October 2025 involving media attending the property”.

South Australia Police

Police ruled out abduction as there was no evidence for such

|

South Australia Police

South Australia Police said they had investigated several theories, including that a person unknown to Gus had abducted the four-year-old.

That line of inquiry was ruled out when police found no evidence of an abduction.

Investigators said the other theory was that "someone known to him was involved in his disappearance and suspected death", which became the focus of the investigation.

Detectives say the search is the largest for a missing persons case in South Australian history, with a full-scale ground and air search of the property and the surrounding area launched after Gus went missing.

South Australia Police

More than 160 police officers were deployed on the search for Gus

|

South Australia Police

The search area has totalled 706 square kilometres, with the assistance of 80 Australian Defence Force soldiers, drones, mounted officers and aircraft.

More than 160 police officers have been deployed for the search, with a three-day search of six mine shafts near Oak Park Station also failing to uncover any evidence.

Police have received more than 150 Crime Stoppers tips about the missing boy, but no arrests or charges have been made in relation to Gus' disappearance.

More From GB News