Man charged with hate crime after car is rammed into Australian city's largest synagogue

WATCH: David Baxby tells GB News of the campaign for Australia to launch a Federal Royal Commission into extremism following the Bondi Beach attack |
GB NEWS

'I have spoken to Jewish leaders, as well as police, and I want to assure Queenslanders we are taking this seriously,' the state's Premier said
Don't Miss
Most Read
Trending on GB News
A car has been rammed into Brisbane's largest synagogue in what officials have labelled a "very distressing" incident.
Police were called to the Brisbane Synagogue on the city's Margaret Street overnight after the crash.
Queensland Police later confirmed to GB News that a man had been handed a string of charges - including an alleged hate crime.
The force said that at around 7.16pm on Friday (9.16am GMT), a black Toyota Hilux struck and knocked down the synagogue's gates before driving off.
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say
Thankfully, nobody was injured.
Police located the vehicle a short time later and took the driver into custody without incident, a statement said.
A 32-year-old man is due to face Brisbane Magistrates' Court on Saturday charged with wilful damage serious vilification or hate crime, dangerous operation of a vehicle, possession of dangerous drugs and possessing "utensils or pipes etc." for use.
Police think the driver acted alone and said there was "no ongoing threat to the community".

Police were called to the Brisbane Synagogue on the city's Margaret Street overnight
|WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
Queensland's Premier David Crisafulli said he had been briefed on the crash at 9.30am on Saturday local time (11.30pm on Friday GMT).
"This will be very distressing for the Jewish community in Queensland," he said.
"I have spoken to Jewish leaders, as well as police, and I want to assure Queenslanders we are taking this seriously.
"This is another signal as to why we have to put strong laws before Parliament to protect all people where they worship.
"We are going through the process and I fully intend to have them passed during the next sitting of Parliament."
LATEST FROM AUSTRALIA:
In late December, Australia launched a radical crackdown on "hate" after the deadly Bondi Beach mass shooting.
Alleged gunman Naveed Akram has been charged with 59 offences after the killings - and has demanded a copy of the Koran in jail, as well as access to a Muslim chaplain.
The Hanukkah attack claimed the lives of 15 people - and in an address, PM Anthony Albanese announced a string of planned reforms to target "those who spread hate, division and radicalisation".
Mr Albanese said his country would also bring in new powers to reject or cancel visas for the same "hate-spreaders".
PM Anthony Albanese announced a string of planned reforms to target 'those who spread hate, division and radicalisation' | REUTERSA few weeks later, the country said it would move to deport a 43-year-old British man and cancelled his visa over allegations he posted Nazi imagery online and incited violence against Jewish people.
In December 2024, another synagogue was targeted in Australia - this time in Melbourne.
Two people were sent to hospital after the place of worship was set on fire, with Mr Albanese condemning it as a "deliberate" antisemitic attack.
Australian intelligence revealed last summer that Iran was involved in planning the attack.
And just days after the Bondi shooting, an Australian rabbi's car adorned with a festive "Happy Chanukah" sign was firebombed, again in Melbourne.
More From GB News









