Australia could be forced to take in Isis brides from Shamima Begum's Syrian camp

Australia could be forced to take in Isis brides from Shamima Begum's Syrian camp

WATCH: 'Britain is being deliberately DEMOLISHED': Neil Oliver fumes migrant crisis is by DESIGN

|

GB NEWS

James Saunders

By James Saunders


Published: 17/02/2026

- 02:38

Camp chiefs confirmed children inside had been exposed to 'dangerous ideologies' - but said the West should take them back anyway

Australia could be forced to take in Isis brides from the Syrian camp home to Shamima Begum.

A group of women and their children, all Australian citizens, left the notorious Roj camp on Monday.


The 34 individuals had been released from the camp in northern Syria to begin their journey home - despite the Australian Government refusing to let them in.

However, the country may have no choice, and must provide passports to Australians who present themselves at an embassy.

"Our security agencies have been monitoring - and continue to monitor - the situation in Syria to ensure they are prepared for any Australians seeking to return to Australia," the Australian Government said in a statement.

"People in this cohort need to know that if they have committed a crime and if they return to Australia they will be met with the full force of the law.

"The safety of Australians and the protection of Australia's national interests remain the overriding priority."

Technical problems eventually halted the families' departure.

The Isis brides boarded minibuses bound for Damascus under military escort - but were later turned back

Australian media reports indicate the issue stemmed from a failure to secure proper permissions between the various factions controlling the region.

The group was subsequently returned to the camp where they have been held for almost seven years.

A camp co-director confirmed the Australians were initially handed over to family members who had travelled to Syria to collect them.

They then boarded minibuses bound for Damascus under military escort.

Australian media reported the group planned to travel on to Beirut in Lebanon to obtain passports.

Australian Isis brides

The Australian Isis brides had left the camp in a bid to claim their passports in Lebanon

|

GETTY

The camp's director, Hakmiyeh Ibrahim, then issued a plea to governments around the world.

She said children in the facility were being exposed to "dangerous ideas and ideologies" - but still wanted to send them overseas.

"My message is not only to Australia but to all countries: take your citizens, take these children and women," Ms Ibrahim told the ABC.

"We brought families of Isis-affiliated women and children here in 2017 and now it's 2026," she said. "The more time passes, the more complicated the situation becomes."

Roj holds over 2,000 people from 40 countries, predominantly women and children detained since Isis lost its final Syrian territory in 2019.

In 2022, four women and 13 children were repatriated from Roj to Sydney, sparking a fierce uproar in Australia.

Shamima Begum

Still in the camp is Shamima Begum, who was stripped of British citizenship in 2019 on national security grounds

|
GETTY

Still in the camp is Shamima Begum, who was stripped of British citizenship in 2019 on national security grounds.

She was 15 when she left east London to join Isis territory in the Middle East and marry a terrorist.

Last month, the Home Secretary pledged she would "robustly defend" the decision to strip Begum's citizenship in the face of a ECHR probe.

The European Court of Human Rights formally contacted the Home Office to probe whether it broke human rights and anti-trafficking laws.

However, a Government source noted that British courts have already upheld the decision.

Other foreign governments have similarly declined to repatriate their nationals from Syrian camps.

More From GB News