Machete-wielding robbers raid seaside town's jewellers as police launch urgent investigation

WATCH: Daylight robbery in Richmond, London, earlier in February
|GB NEWS

Two men have been arrested in connection with the attack
Don't Miss
Most Read
Trending on GB News
Machete and axe-wielding robbers have targeted a Southend jewellers, with police launching an urgent investigation.
Essex Police said it had received reports of thieves smashing their way into a jewellery shop on Weston Road, at about 10.15am on Monday, February 16.
The suspects are said to have caused substantial damage to the store, using a multitude of weapons such as a machete and an axe.
The three-man gang struck Alex John Jewellers in Essex.
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say
Online footage shows the men dressed in dark clothing getting back into a red Mitsubishi that had been abandoned in the middle of the street.
A short time after the incident, a vehicle was stopped in Bedfordshire, some 90 miles away from the scene of the crime.
Two men were arrested, one aged in his 30s and the other in his 40s, both from Birmingham, after the car was apprehended by police.

Machete and axe-wielding robbers have targeted a Southend jewellers, with police launching an urgent investigation
|YOUR SOUTHEND

In the footage, three men can be seen getting back into a red Mitsubishi, with one suspect grappling a black duffle bag
|YOUR SOUTHEND
The men have been brought back to Essex Police custody for questioning.
Detective Inspector Marcus Dodd said: "I'm aware this is a concerning incident for the public to witness in Southend and it needed a strong policing response.
"Within minutes of the extremely helpful calls and information given by members of the public, we were responding and on the scene.
"Thanks to this work, two suspects are in custody, important evidence has been seized and our investigation is progressing well."
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

The vehicle then made off with the suspects inside
|YOUR SOUTHEND
Southend-on-Sea City Council said it would support Essex Police in any investigation.
"The Council's Community Safety Officers have stepped up high-visibility patrols in the town centre to reassure local businesses and visitors," the council stated.
Independent Councillor Martin Terry, Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Regulatory Services, said: "This was a very serious incident, and I want to thank both Essex Police and our council teams for their swift response.
"Southend remains a safe city, and incidents like this are thankfully extremely rare.
"We will keep working closely with Essex Police and our local partners to ensure our city centre stays a safe and welcoming place for everyone."
The force appealed for anyone with information or footage of the incident to come forward.
Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter
More From GB News









