Six people in hospital after London bus crash horror outside popular theatre

Two double-deckers collided in Southwark

Two double-deckers collided in Southwark

|

ANDREW LEARMOUTH

Jack Walters

By Jack Walters


Published: 18/02/2026

- 10:51

Updated: 18/02/2026

- 11:58

Newington Causeway in Southwark is now closed in both directions while emergency services respond to the incident

Six people have been taken to hospital after two double-decker buses collided outside a theatre on a busy street in London.

Emergency services rushed to Newington Causeway in Southwark shortly after Metropolitan Police officers were called about the incident at 8.06am.


The London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade also rushed to the scene earlier this morning.

Half a dozen people were taken to a nearby hospital and other casualties were treated at the scene, the London Ambulance Service said.

However, the injuries have not described as either life-changing or life-threatening.

James Johnson, Strategic Commander for London Ambulance Service, said: “We were called at 8.06am to reports of a road traffic collision in Newington Causeway.

"We sent resources to the scene including ambulance crews, paramedics in fast response cars, advanced paramedics, an incident response officer and our Hazardous Area Response Team.

"We also dispatched a trauma team in a car from London’s Air Ambulance.

Emergency services rushed to Newington Causeway in Southwark shortly after the Metropolitan Police officers were alerted of the incident at 8.06am

Emergency services rushed to Newington Causeway in Southwark shortly after the Metropolitan Police officers were alerted of the incident at 8.06am

|

ANDREW LEARMOUTH

"We treated a number of patients at the scene and took six of them to hospital.”

A nearby building also sustained damage during the crash, with one photograph showing a double-decker bus hitting the front of the Southwark Playhouse.

Southwark Playhouse, which includes Sir Michael Caine as one of its patrons, opened in 1993.

The Metropolitan Police is yet to make any arrests in connection with the incident.

A nearby building also sustained damage during the crash, with one photograph showing a double-decker bus hitting the front of the Southwark Playhouse

A nearby building also sustained damage during the crash, with one photograph showing a double-decker bus hitting the front of the Southwark Playhouse

|

ANDREW LEARMOUTH

However, photographs from the scene appear to suggest a London bus on the 188 route had crashed into the back of the second double-decker.

The second double-decker appears to have then veered into the iconic London theatre.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Officers are responding to a collision between two buses in Newington Causeway, Southwark.

"Police were called to the scene at 8.06am on Wednesday, February 18.

The collision resulted in several people suffering injuries at the scene

The collision resulted in several people suffering injuries at the scene

|

ANDREW LEARMOUTH

"The London Ambulance Service and the London Fire Brigade are also in attendance.

"A number of people were assessed at the scene by LAS where their injuries were deemed not to be life-changing or life-threatening. No arrests have been made as enquiries continue.

"The road is closed in both directions while emergency services continue to respond."

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade added: "Firefighters were called to reports of a road traffic collision near the junction of Avonmouth Street and Newington Causeway, in Elephant and Castle.

"Two buses were involved in the collision, and part of a nearby building was slightly damaged in the crash.

"Crews worked to make the scene safe and supported colleagues from the London Ambulance Service as they treated patients.

"The Brigade was first called about the collision at 8.11am, and the incident was over for firefighters by 10am."

More From GB News