A man who sent a “grossly offensive” video of a Grenfell Tower bonfire has escaped jail.
Paul Bussetti, 49, from Sundial Avenue in Croydon, south London, admitted to sending the video of a cardboard model of the tower.
He pleaded guilty to one count of sending a “grossly offensive” video when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
Chief magistrate Paul Goldspring said he was “horrified” when he saw the film, and sentenced Bussetti to 10 weeks in jail, suspended for two years.
He added: “It was disgusting, it was disrespectful, it was abhorrent and it was – by the nature of the charge – grossly offensive.
Paul Bussetti, 49, outside Westminster Magistrates' Court, London James Manning
The Grenfell Tower disaster is one of the worst the UK has ever seen Nicholas. T. Ansell
“I suspect it was offensive to almost everybody who has an ounce of decency about them.”
Bussetti was previously found not guilty after a two-day trial but the acquittal was quashed by the High Court.
He filmed the footage, which was taken at an annual bonfire party hosted by a friend in November 2018, before sharing it in WhatsApp groups.
The video caused outrage after going viral online.
The court heard there were direct and indirect references to the residents of Grenfell Tower in the footage, including: “Who’s jumping?”; “Don’t worry, stay in your flats”; and “Jump out of the window”.
The court heard Bussetti said: “That’s what happens when you don’t pay the rent", while he also uttered siren noises.
Bussetti, wearing a dark suit and white shirt, shook his head in the dock as details of his comments were repeated in court.
The court heard he handed himself in to police when the footage went viral.