Crowbrough asylum camp could stay open until 2030, council claims
Watch the full interview with Crowborough resident who refuses to pay council tax after claiming asylum seeker base means his home 'has no value'
|GB NEWS
The council claims it was repeatedly told the base would only be in operation for 12 months
Don't Miss
Most Read
An army base housing asylum seekers in Crowborough could remain open until 2030, Wealden District Council has claimed.
The extension was revealed after the council uncovered new court documents detailing how two Government departments agreed between themselves to allow the camp the option to remain open for another four years.
The council claims it was repeatedly told by the Labour Government and Home Office Minister Alex Norris MP the camp was only a temporary measure and would be open for no longer than 12 months.
Councillors say the revelation has left them "deeply dismayed and disappointed".
Leader of the council, Green Party Councillor Rachel Millward, said: "Everyone round here is wearily familiar with the Home Office’s inability to make a decision.
"People whose lives are directly affected by that are left guessing.
"Why can’t the minister [Mr Norris] have the courage to tell it how it is and outline a plan, instead of hidden conversations behind closed doors?"
She continued: "The entire project has been disastrously handled by the Home Office with a shocking lack of communication.
The Crowborough barracks have been the site of major protest against its use | PA"We struggle to understand how the Home Office can justify such poor mismanagement.
"We have asked the Minister Alex Norris for an urgent explanation."
The Home Office told the council on Tuesday "no decision has been made" over the future of Crowborough base.
GB News has approached the Home Office for comment.
Following its term as temporary accomodation for asylum seekers, the Government said it hoped to return the site to the Ministry of Defence.
Details suggesting the site would be returned after securing alternative accommodation within 12 months has since been removed from official Government website.
As of April, the site houses 350 migrants - approximately half its capacity - some three months after the asylum seekers were first moved to the site.
Former military sites, such as that in Crowborough, are being used by the Government in a bid to reduce the cost to taxpayers induced by housing asylum seekers in hotels.
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:
Crowborough residents heavily protested the decision before the migrants were moved in | GB NEWSMr Norris said the Government was adding capacity at military sites and intended to do more, adding the military sites provided "safe and humane accommodation".
He said: "We know that the traffickers say 'come to the UK, live in a hotel, work illegally' – well, we're changing that reality."
In response to safety fears sparked by the nearby migrant accommodation, a Home Office spokesman said: "This Government is removing the incentives drawing illegal migrants to Britain.
"The population in asylum hotels has fallen by nearly 20 per cent in the last year and by 45 per cent since the peak under the previous Government - helping reduce asylum support costs by nearly £1billion."
"We are working closely and routinely with Sussex Police to ensure appropriate security arrangements are in place for the safety and security of the wider community and asylum seekers."

Nus Ghani, the MP for Sussex Weald in which Corwborough sits, said: 'Wealden District Council’s Green Party leadership have finally woken up to the threat of Crowborough Training Camp being used by the Home Office for a lot longer than 12 months'
| GB NEWSLocal residents told GB News they feel "brutally let down".
Head of Crowborough says No, Gaz Clark, told GB News: "On behalf of myself and the Crowborough community we feel brutally let down by the Goverment and the Home Office.
"The apparent safety and wellbeing of us all has come well below the clear agenda set out on making illegal migrants the priority, whatever the cost to local people."
"This cannot be allowed to continue, we will not stand by and let it continue."
Nus Ghani, the MP for Sussex Weald in which Corwborough sits, said: "Wealden District Council’s Green Party leadership have finally woken up to the threat of Crowborough Training Camp being used by the Home Office for a lot longer than 12 months.
"Having refused to engage with local MPs and to support Crowborough Shield’s legal action, they now act surprised as the Government’s intentions are revealed.
"Spending £3million on Crowborough Training Camp made it clear that the Home Office planned to use it for a lot longer than 12 months, displacing local blue light services and our Cadets from the site.
"Instead of waking up to the threat early on, Wealden District Council’s Green/Lib Dem leadership have been busy playing politics and swapping positions of power, and not done their due diligence and hard work in investigating Ministers.
"They have wasted time by refusing to take legal action themselves and insulting those who were highlighting this threat, which is why the Home Office does not take them seriously.
"Now the legal action taken by residents, which I have been proud to support, has revealed the truth: a backroom deal to occupy the site until 2030.
"Instead of offering excuses for not acting against the Government and attacking local MPs, it’s time for the Wealden District Council Leadership to finally take the side of the residents which the Council is meant to represent."










