Armed police arrest man, 28, over attempted murder of pregnant woman in 'targeted attack'

Police at the scene

Armed police rushed to the scene

George Bunn

By George Bunn

Published: 05/12/2023

- 11:47

Updated: 05/12/2023

- 18:00

The public have been urged to avoid the area

Armed police have arrested a man for the attempted murder of a pregnant women in south Wales in a "targetted attack".

A 28-year-old man from Merthyr Tydfil was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and was escorted into police custody after a manhunt lasting several hours.

According to local reports, screaming alerted neighbours in Aberfan to the stabbing of a "pregnant" 29-year-old woman earlier today.

The 29-year-old woman was taken to hospital as armed police and a helicopter rushed to the scene to try and locate the attacker.

Local schools were all placed in lockdown as a precaution.

In a press conference at 5.30pm today, a spokesperson for South Wales Police said: "Armed officers have been carrying inquiries throughout the day.

WATCH HERE: Police provide update on Aberfan stabbing

"This afternoon a 28-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

"The man is known to the victim and is currently in police custody.

"I appreciate there will be a real sense of shock for the local community as the attack happened in broad daylight.

"Local schools activated the lockdown protocols to keep people safe.

"Neighbourhood officers have been in the area to ensure pupils have been able to leave the school safely at the normal time.

"This was done as a precaution and schools will be open tomorrow as normal.

"This was a targeted attack.

"The woman remains in hospital with injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening at this time.

"I want to thank the local community and partners for their patience and support throughout today's police operation to trace and arrest the suspect. Thank you."

Previously in the day aouth Wales Police said: "A 29-year-old woman has been stabbed on Moy Road, Aberfan. The suspect left the scene immediately after the incident and enquiries are ongoing to find him.

"A search of the immediate area is being carried out by armed officers. Local schools have activated their lockdown protocols to keep pupils safe whilst the incident is ongoing.

"We continue to request that people avoid the area so that we can effectively deal with this incident. The woman has been taken to hospital with injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening at this time."

Lynne Terrett, from Merthyr Tydfil, said her daughter, Kira Terrett, was walking her dog near her home in Aberfan when she saw the attack.

She said her daughter looked around after she heard the sound of the woman running towards her.

Police at the scene

Emergency services attended the scene in Aberfan



Schools in the area were put in lockdown


"My daughter screamed and people came out from everywhere," she said.

"If she had not screamed, people would not have gone out."

Emergency services attended the scene in Wales


Merthyr Tydfil MP Gerald Jones said: "I have spoken to police regarding a serious incident in Aberfan this morning.

"You may see an increased police presence in the area and I’d encourage everyone to co-operate with police officers as they deal with the incident."

A spokesperson from the Welsh Ambulance Service said: "We were called today, at approximately 9.10am, to reports of an incident in Aberfan, Merthyr Tydfil.

"We sent one emergency ambulance, one air ambulance and one Cymru High Acuity Response unit to the scene where advanced critical care support was delivered by the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service. We conveyed one patient by road to University Hospital Of Wales, Cardiff for further treatment."

Kira Terrett said her daughter's screaming alerted locals to the stabbing


Police at the scene

Police attended the scene in Aberfan


Susan Prothero told the PA news agency that she has lived in Aberfan, South Wales, for 30 years.

"(It’s) a very quiet area,” she said.

"I have lived here 30 years and nothing like this has happened here."

She added that all she knew about the incident was that the woman had been taken to hospital.

You may like