Sadiq Khan to ban all cars from Oxford Street next month as trial aims to support 'traffic-free' city

WATCH: 'This will cause a lot of problems!' Founder of FairFuel blasts plans to pedestrianise Oxford Street

|

GB NEWS

Hemma Visavadia

By Hemma Visavadia


Published: 29/08/2025

- 13:19

The London Mayor will ban vehicles from passing through Oxford Street on Sunday, September 21

Drivers have been warned of a total car ban taking place across a popular tourist area next month, impacting traffic for all vehicles.

It comes after London Mayor Sadiq Khan approved a trial traffic ban along Oxford Street on Sunday, September 21, in a bid to showcase the potential of the shopping district.


The traffic-free day follows plans by the Mayor to pedestrianise the shopping district completely with the taster ban, hoping to ramp up support for the controversial proposals.

As part of the trial, Oxford Street will go traffic-free from Orchard Street to Oxford Circus between 12pm and 8pm.

Do you have a story you'd like to share? Get in touch by emailing motoring@gbnews.uk

Oxford Street and Sadiq Khan and car ban sign

The car ban would take place between 12pm and 8pm on September 21

|

GETTY/PA

The one-day closure hopes to encourage Londoners to throw their support behind the car ban, which is currently under review following a successful consultation.

The consultation, which was launched earlier this year, revealed that around seven in 10 Londoners backed the plans to regenerate Oxford Street, with two-thirds specifically supporting the idea of pedestrianisation.

Feedback to the consultation revealed that preventing all traffic which is not required for essential servicing, such as buses, taxis, and private hire vehicles, would also make the street safer and provide more space for the very large numbers of pedestrians.

However, the feedback recognised that full pedestrianisation would have some negative impact on certain users, "including the ability of taxis to bring people door-to-door, and as a consequence on accessibility for disabled people and those with reduced mobility".

Oxford street on Boxing Day

The proposed car ban would help reduce overcrowding on the pavement

|
PA

During the closure, an event showcasing the shopping district will take place, bringing together fashion, food, music, sport, heritage, and community in a bid to give Londoners a glimpse of what Oxford Street could be like without traffic.

Sir Khan said that the trial would be "a fantastic opportunity to see Oxford Street in a whole new light, traffic-free, full of music, great food, pop-ups and entertainment for everyone".

"As Mayor, I’m determined to unlock Oxford Street’s true potential and deliver a world-class, accessible, clean avenue," he added.

On top of the proposals to pedestrianise the area, Sir Khan has also been progressing with steps to establish a Mayoral Development Corporation, which would give him the authority to introduce new restrictions.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:

The corporation has received backing from the London Assembly and hopes to pass legislation before its establishment on January 1, 2026.

But Westminster Council, which is currently responsible for the district, said it did not believe an MDC "is necessary to realise the transformation of Oxford Street".

Responding to the consultation, the council explained that Westminster had already brought forward an Oxford Street Programme "while taking into consideration the concerns and needs of those in the wider community".

The council stated: "This programme was extensively consulted on and had consensus support across all stakeholders, including residents, businesses, TfL, and the GLA. Indeed, the Oxford Street business community had agreed to fund half the cost of the £90m programme."

A map of the Oxford Street plansMap of the proposed pedestrianised route along Oxford Street | TFL

While the council expressed their concerns, Emma Strain, Director of Customer at Transport for London, explained that the trial car ban would enable people to visit and experience a traffic-free Oxford Street for the first time.

Karim Fatehi OBE, chief executive at London Chamber of Commerce and Industry, explained that plans to revitalise Oxford Street are a "bold and exciting step" towards re-energising London’s West End.

Dee Corsi, Chief Executive at New West End Company, said: "It is exciting to see Oxford Street animated in this way, giving Londoners and visitors the chance to experience the street differently.

"We are working with our members, Westminster City Council, the Mayor of London and the wider West End community to ensure the day showcases the breadth and diversity of what Oxford Street has to offer."