Defence chiefs urged to 'get on with it' and remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's military title

Lewis Henderson

By Lewis Henderson


Published: 30/11/2025

- 10:01

Updated: 30/11/2025

- 10:14

The King stripped his brother's royal titles last month

Defence chiefs have been urged to "get on with it" and remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's military title, the last one the disgraced royal has.

Andrew is still a vice-admiral in the Royal Navy, despite the Government's pledge to strip him of the honour four weeks ago at the King's request.


Senior military figures have described the delay as "extraordinary" in removing the final title.

The decision remains with the Government to remove Andrew's vice-admiral title, not Charles.

Andrew Mountbatten-WindsorDefence chiefs have been urged to 'get on with it' and remove Andrew's military title. | GETTY

The former prince was awarded the honorary rank of vice-admiral by the Royal Navy for his 55th birthday, having served in the Navy for 22 years until 2001 and fought in the Falklands as a helicopter pilot.

He was due to have been promoted to admiral on his 60th birthday in 2020, but it was deferred after he withdrew from public duties in 2019 following his horrendous Newsnight interview detailing his relationship with convicted trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

A month ago, His Majesty formally stripped hs brother of his royal titles and told him he would leave Royal Lodge, his mansion in Windsor Great Park.

A statement from Buckingham Palace on October 30 read: "His Majesty has today initiated a formal process to remove the Style, Titles and Honours of Prince Andrew.

King Charles

The King formally stripped Andrew of his royal titles last month.

|
PA

"Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. His lease on Royal Lodge has, to date, provided him with legal protection to continue in residence.

"Formal notice has now been served to surrender the lease, and he will move to alternative private accommodation. These censures are deemed necessary, notwithstanding the fact that he continues to deny the allegations against him.

"Their Majesties wish to make clear that their thoughts and utmost sympathies have been, and will remain with, the victims and survivors of any and all forms of abuse."

Three days after the message, the Defence Secretary, John Healey, said the Government would "work to remove" Andrew's last remaining title.

John Healey

Defence Secretary John Healey said the Government would 'work to remove' Andrew's last remaining title.

|
REUTERS

"This is a move that's right. It's a move the King has indicated we should take, and we're working on that at the moment," Mr Healey told the BBC.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the matter is "ongoing" but has not stated the process's current stage.

An MoD spokesman told The Sunday Times: "Defence continues to act in line with His Majesty's intent regarding the process to remove the style, titles and honours of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor."

Admiral Lord West, the former first sea lord and chief of the naval staff, called for the Government to "get on with it".

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor

Andrew remains at Royal Lodge and will stay there over Christmas.

|
GETTY

"It seems extraordinary that it is taking so long, and I cannot see why it is so difficult to remove it. He has paid a penalty for his stupid behaviour, and that is right," he said.

"What I would not approve of is if he kept the title, that would not be appropriate with his behaviour.

"We recently swiftly removed the first sea lord from his position, and he had the rank of admiral, so it cannot be that difficult. They should just get on with it."

Andrew is still living at Royal Lodge as he prepares for one last Christmas at the Grade II-listed building and is expected to move to a new house on the King's Sandringham estate in Norfolk next year.