Prince Harry issues new statement amid furious bid to stop him from receiving award

Prince Harry

Prince Harry has issued a new statement amid a furious bid to stop him from receiving an award this week.

Getty
Svar Nanan-Sen

By Svar Nanan-Sen


Published: 10/07/2024

- 12:51

Updated: 13/07/2024

- 08:50

Pat Tillman served in Iraq and then Afghanistan after giving up a lucrative career in the NFL to enlist as an Army Ranger in 2002

Prince Harry has issued a new statement amid a furious bid to stop him from receiving an award this week.

The Duke of Sussex is set to be given the memorial award set up in the name of Pat Tillman in Hollywood on July 11.


However, there has been a furious reaction to Harry's nomination for the award including public criticism from Tillman's mother.

A petition demanding ESPN rethink their decision, claiming the Duke of Sussex had been "involved in controversies that call into question his suitability to receive an honour of this magnitude" has now reached 70,000 signatures.

Prince Harry

The Duke of Sussex was nominated for the award due to his work as the founder of the Invictus Games.

Getty

The Duke of Sussex was nominated for the award due to his work as the founder of the Invictus Games.

Harry has now released a new statement regarding the next edition of the sporting competition that will be held in Canada in 2025.

The Duke of Sussex said: "Congratulations to those selected for Team UK for our first-ever Winter Invictus Games in Vancouver Whistler next February.

"Team UK will join over 500 competitors from across 20 nations in this groundbreaking event that expands the range and profile of winter adaptive sports.

Prince Harry

It comes as a source close to the royal told The Telegraph Harry had been left stunned by the backlash to his nomination.

Getty

"These games present an incredible opportunity for our courageous service personnel and veterans to demonstrate their skills in new challenges like alpine skiing, snowboarding and skeleton, as well as providing a truly memorable experience for their families.

"We're excited to see their passion, determination, and resilience on full display as they take on this new chapter."

It comes as a source close to the royal told The Telegraph Harry had been left stunned by the backlash to his nomination.

The source said: "Harry’s legacy on Invictus, the things he has achieved, that’s his real passion.

Prince Harry

Last week, ESPN released a statement highlighting the Duke of Sussex's achievements with the Invictus Games following the backlash.

Getty

"This is the space in which he truly feels at home, it is something he deeply cares about. The reaction certainly took the shine off the award."

Last week, ESPN released a statement highlighting the Duke of Sussex's achievements with the Invictus Games following the backlash.

The organisation said: "ESPN, with the support of the Tillman Foundation, is honouring Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, specifically for the work of The Invictus Games Foundation as it celebrates its 10th year promoting healing through the power of sport for military service members and veterans around the world.

"While we understand not everyone will agree with all honorees selected for any award, The Invictus Games Foundation does incredible work and ESPN believes this is a cause worth celebrating."

You may like

{% if context.post.roar_specific_data and context.post.roar_specific_data.affiliate_post %} {% elif %} {% endfor %}