Nottingham knifeman Valdo Calocane given INDEFINITE SENTENCE as judge orders killer be detained in hospital to avoid 'serious harm' to public

Nottingham knifeman Valdo Calocane given INDEFINITE SENTENCE as judge orders killer be detained in hospital to avoid 'serious harm' to public

Valdo Calocane has been sentenced to a hospital order

GB News
George Bunn

By George Bunn


Published: 25/01/2024

- 12:08

Updated: 25/01/2024

- 14:50

The 32 year old fatally stabbed three people on the morning of June 13

  • Justice Turner said the killer would be detained in a high-security hospital "very probably for the rest of your life"
  • Barnaby Webber’s family said that "true justice has not been served today."
  • Valdo Calocane stood with his hands at his side and showed no emotion

Valdo Calocane has been sentenced to to a indefinite hospital order after admitting manslaughter by diminished responsibility and attempted murder.

The 32 year old fatally stabbed students Barnaby Webber and Grace O'Malley-Kumar, both 19, and school caretaker Ian Coates, 65, on the streets of Nottingham on the morning of June 13.


Sentencing Valdo Calocane at Nottingham Crown Court Justice Turner told Valdo Calocane: "None of your victims were known to you. But for the voices inside your head … you had no reason to harm any of them. You still labour under the strong impression that the voices are real. You were and remain dangerous."

Saying he was required to consider the appropriateness of a mental health "disposal" of the case, the judge noted that Calocane still believed he was controlled by some form of “advanced technology”.

Barnaby Webber, Grace Kumar and Ian Coates

Barnaby Webber, Grace O'Malley-Kumar and Ian Coates were stabbed in the street and killed in the early hours of June 13

Composite: PA; Huntingdon Academy

Justice Turner said Calocane would be detained in a high-security hospital "very probably for the rest of your life".

He said: "There was never any doubt that it was you who had committed these appalling crimes. It soon became clear, however, that the central issue in this case would relate to whether at the time of committing these offences you were suffering from symptoms of severe mental disorder.

"You committed a series of atrocities in this city which ended the lives of three people in this city...Your sickening crimes both shocked the nation and wrecked the lives of your surviving victims and the families of them all."

He said the "harrowing" details of the attacks have been “fully recounted and explored” in court over the past couple of days.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

Calocane appeared at Nottingham Crown Court

Calocane appeared at Nottingham Crown Court

PA

Offering mitigation on behalf of Valdo Calocane, defence barrister Peter Joyce urged the judge not to consider a whole-life order.

Joyce said: "There are very few whole-life orders and they have all, without exception, been for offences of murder. This man is not before you for murder, he is before you for manslaughter. Schizophrenia is a well-established, long-established mental disease that can strike anyone and will strike one per cent of the population through no fault of their own.

"The clearest evidence in this case is available… it [the mental illness] started in late 2019 and he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic in May 2020. No fabrication, no exaggeration, no concoction – this unwanted visitor to his life hit him. That’s the fact.

"Of course he destroyed these lives. It [mental illness] destroyed their lives and his life is destroyed too. He deserves treating. He can be treated. It is very unlikely that for very, very many years he will see other than the inside of a secure mental hospital."

Justice Turner sentences Valdo Calocane

Emma Webber, mother of Barnaby Webber, said outside court that "true justice has not been served today", adding the families of Valdo Calocane’s victims had been "let down" by the CPS and police after the triple killer was handed an indefinite hospital order.

She told the assistant chief constable of Nottingham Crown Court that he has "blood on your hands".

Dr Sanjoy Kumar, father of Grace Kumar said: "We've been through absolute hell for the last few days...We will never come to terms with the loss of our beloved daughter Grace, how she lost her life [and] her heroic actions."

As he was sentenced, Valdo Calocane stood with his hands at his side and showed no emotion as he looked towards the sentencing judge.

\u200bEmma Webber

Emma Webber, mother of Barnaby Webber making a statement alongside relatives of the victims, outside Nottingham Crown Court

PA

Emma Webber said: "We as a devastated family have been let down by multiple agency failings and ineffectiveness. The CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) did not consult us as has been reported – instead we have been rushed, hastened and railroaded."

"We were presented with a fait accompli that the decision had been made to accept manslaughter charges. At no point during the previous five-and-a-half-months were we given any indication that this could conclude in anything other than murder.

"We trusted in our system, foolishly as it turns out. We do not dispute that the murderer is mentally unwell and has been for a number of years.

"However the pre-mediated planning, the collection of lethal weapons, hiding in the shadows and brutality of the attacks are that of an individual who knew exactly what he was doing. He knew entirely that it was wrong but he did it anyway."

Ian Coates son Lee said: "This man has made a mockery of the system and he has got away with murder. The NHS mental health trusts have to be held accountable for their failures, along with the police".

Dr Sanjoy Kumar, father of Grace O'Malley-KumarDr Sanjoy Kumar, father of Grace O'Malley-Kumar

PA

Assistant chief constable Rob Griffin, who has led the overall policing response to the events of June 13, said: "The devastating impact that the events of 13 June have had and continue to have for the families of those killed and those that survived these dreadful attacks are immeasurable.

"Today, my thoughts remain with the loved ones of each of the victims and those who continue to be affected by this tragedy. The attacks were utterly senseless and resulted in the loss of life for three entirely innocent people.

"Grace and Barnaby were just walking home from a student night out while Ian was carrying out his daily work. The events of June 13 also changed the lives forever of three other innocent victims.

"Wayne, Sharon and Marcin, who were driven over by this defendant, were simply walking through the city centre. We will never forget those whose lives were so cruelly taken, or those who survived the attacks. We are committed to do all that we can to continue to provide the support they need. Nor will we forget the remarkable spirit shown in the aftermath of the attack as our city came together in solidarity and showed its support for those affected."

Ian Coates son, James, making a statement

Ian Coates son, James, said NHS mental health trusts have to be held accountable for their failures

PA

Detective Superintendent Leigh Sanders, who led the investigation, added: “The savage attacks that unfolded on 13 June were terrifying not only for the victims but also for those who witnessed them – and I’d like to thank those who reported incidents or came forward with vital information.

“It was also a very unnerving day for people living or working in Nottingham, who woke to find large parts of the city cordoned off while we investigated the deeply disturbing events that had unfolded.

"I’d like to thank the public for their patience and support while we gathered all the evidence.

"This was one of the darkest days for our city and my thoughts remain with all those affected by these horrific crimes."

You may like

{% if context.post.roar_specific_data and context.post.roar_specific_data.affiliate_post %} {% elif %} {% endfor %}