Croydon hospital locked down after police officers 'exposed to poison'

Croydon University Hospital/Ambulances
Three people, including two police officers, were sent to hospital - which has since been locked down
James Saunders

By James Saunders

Published: 04/04/2024

- 11:05

Updated: 04/04/2024

- 14:59

The 'possible hazardous substance' found on the woman has left her and two police officers in hospital

A London hospital was put into partial lockdown today after of woman ingested a toxic substance in the early hours of this morning.

Emergency services were called to an address in Thornton Heath, Croydon, at around 3.45am this morning (April 4) to reports of a woman having consumed poison.

The woman was taken to hospital and was found to have been "in possession of a possible hazardous substance".

Two police officers were also exposed to the substance, and have subsequently been hospitalised, where they remain "under observation".

\u200bCroydon University Hospital's emergency department

Croydon University Hospital's emergency department, where those exposed to the poisoning were taken


Croydon University Hospital had been plunged into a partial lockdown to protect staff and patients from the poison - which was finally lifted around seven hours later.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson told GB News: "Police were called at 3.46am by London Ambulance Service (LAS) to reports of a woman having ingested poison at an address in Thornton Heath.

"The woman was taken to a south London hospital by LAS where she was found to be in possession of a possible hazardous substance.

"Officers and London Fire Brigade (LFB) attended Mayday Hospital and safety cordons and closures were established while specialist officers examined the item and safety procedures were enacted.


London Road, Croydon

Police confirmed the stretch of London Road which runs past the hospital has now been reopened


"Ambulances and emergency vehicles are being given access to the hospital throughout the incident response.

"Road closures have since been lifted and the incident stood down. There were no arrests.

"Two officers were exposed to the substance. They remain at the hospital under observation."

Following the incident, a stretch of London Road, an A-road which runs past Croydon University Hospital, was closed off, though this has since reopened.

A spokesperson for Croydon Health Services NHS Trust said: "Following an incident in Croydon this morning we have treated a small number of patients, including two police officers for chemical exposure.

"This was an isolated incident and Croydon University Hospital has remained open for patients throughout."

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson told GB News: "We were called at 3.37 this morning (April 4) in response to a reports of a person unwell in Thornton Heath, CR7.

"We sent an ambulance crew and took a woman to hospital after she was found to be in possession of a possible hazardous substance.

"We sent further resources to hospital including ambulance crews, an incident response officer and members of our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART).

"Two members of staff who initially responded to the patient were treated for exposure to harmful chemicals and are being monitored as a precaution."

You may like