British patrol boats order Chagossians to leave island after setting up settlement

Chagossian First Minister Misley Mandarin says he 'dares' Keir Starmer to remove them after making camp on the island |
GB NEWS

The group's leader said he was 'appalled' by the decision
Don't Miss
Most Read
Trending on GB News
A British patrol has ordered a group of Chagossians who attempted to set up a settlement on the atoll to leave the island.
Misley Mandarin, leader of the four people who landed on Monday on the remote Ile du Coin atoll told GB News the boat had served the group with the papers.
Mr Mandarin said: "This is really appalling, we have been exiled from our homeland for more than half a century.
"Now, having this vessel serve me this order that if I do not leave the island I might have to be in prison for three years or pay a hefty fine. I am very angry about it."
TRENDING
Stories
Videos
Your Say
Up to 2,000 Chagossians were forcibly removed from the archipelago in the 1960s and 1970s, and resettled mainly in Mauritius and Britain.
Last year's agreement allows Britain to retain control of the strategically important US-UK air base on Diego Garcia, the largest island of the archipelago in the Indian Ocean, under a 99-year lease.
Mauritius' attorney general previously derided the move was a publicity stunt designed to create conflict.
The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination has urged Britain and Mauritius not to ratify the agreement, saying it risks perpetuating historical rights violations.

One of the patrol boats spotted near the island
|SUBMITTED
Mr Mandarin continued: "They can make a threat however they want, I am not moving."
Adam Holloway, the former Conservative MP for Gravesham who has since joined Reform UK is also on the island.
He told GB News: "I haven't been served papers as I was in the jungle looking for wells but this is an extraordinary situation.
"There's no reason for the British taxpayers to spend £38billion and risk the strategic base on Diego Garcia."
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS
- Chagossians dealt heartbreaking blow just hours after return as US confirms it backs 'surrender' deal
- Keir Starmer's close friend raked in share of £8MILLION to back Britain's Chagos 'surrender'
- 'Completely destroys the deal!' Chagos campaigners pinpoint key legislation which 'undermines' Labour's surrender plan

Adam Holloway and Misley Mandarin
|GB NEWS
Documents issued to the party today, including Mr Mandarin, read: "This order shall be carried into effect by the master of the vessel on which you were carried into the Territory.
"If you breach this Order and return to the Territory you will commit a criminal offence and be liable on conviction for imprisonment for three years or a fine of £3,000."
Mr Holloway continued: "This is really outrageous. This is where they were born. Their families have been here for generations. There was no reason for exiling them in the first place, that was a crime against humanity.
"Needless to say, I have been on the phone to two King's council in the last 10 minutes, but the fact is these people have a right to live here and we have got to right the historical wrong."
More From GB News









