Donald Trump revokes secret Joe Biden order and removes Kamala Harris's Secret Service protection
GB NEWS
Ms Harris's protection lasted for six months after leaving office
Don't Miss
Most Read
Trending on GB News
Donald Trump has revoked a secret order by Joe Biden, removing Kamala Harris's Secret Service protection.
Former Vice Presidents receive six months of protection after leaving office, with Ms Harris's being extended by 12 months on July 21, through a directive signed by Mr Biden before he left office.
Made public today, Mr Trump has since cancelled this letter, titled "Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security".
The letter reads: "You are hereby authorised to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorised by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris."
Mr Trump's ending of Ms Harris's protection comes as she embarks on a multi-city book tour around the release of her new memoir about her presidential campaign.
Ms Harris has only attended a few public events since losing the election, with the book tour set to boost her back into the public eye.
A senior adviser to Ms Harris, Kirsten Allen, told CNN: "The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety."
Presidents and presidential candidates face numerous security threats.
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS
Kamala Harris has lost her Secret Service protection
|REUTERS
Two assassination attempts were undertaken against Mr Trump last year, with the President being shot in the ear while on stage delivering a speech.
According to people familiar with security operations, Ms Harris faced significant security concerns given that she was the first black woman in the role.
Ms Harris will lose the agents assigned to guard her in person, 24/7 and constant analysis of threat intelligence, which covers in-person situations, emails, texts and social media.
The former Vice President's aids are worried they will lose the same access to threat warnings.
Her home in the middle of Los Angeles will stop being protected by federal agents.
Ms Harris's husband, Doug Emhoff, lost his own personal protection on July 21 under the standard provisions for a former Vice President's spouse.
California Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on Ms Harris losing her protection late Thursday.
Mr Newsom's spokesman Bob Salladay was very critical of Mr Trump's decision.
Mr Trump has revoked the secret order by Mr Biden
|REUTERS
"The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses," Mr Salladay told CNN.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and Mr Newsom were discussing the situation on Thursday, with Ms Harris potentially receiving protection from the city's police department.
In a statement to CNN, Mayor Bass said: "This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more.
"This puts the former Vice President in danger, and I look forward to working with the Governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles."