At least 21 people have died after a coach plunged 50ft and burst into flames in Venice on Tuesday.
More than a dozen people have also been left injured after the vehicle collided with the rail guard of an overpass in the district of Mestre.
Emergency services have described the scene as “apocalyptic” and warned that the death toll could rise.
The bus was reportedly taking tourists between Venice and a campsite in the nearby Marghera district.
Venice City Councillor Renato Boraso said the bus had been carrying 40 passengers.
Luca Zaia, president of Italy’s Veneto region, called the bus crash “a tragedy of enormous proportions” and also confirmed that “the victims and injured are of various nationalities, not just Italians.”
Among the dead are five Ukrainians, one German and the Italian driver, city prefect Michele Di Bari said.
Mauro Luongo, commander of the Venice firefighters team said: “The people in the bus found themselves surrounded by flames.