Pro-Palestine protesters disrupt BBC Proms for 10 minutes as audience members turn against demonstrators

WATCH: Jewish Artists for Palestine disrupt BBC Proms at Royal Albert Hall

|

GB NEWS

Lewis Henderson

By Lewis Henderson


Published: 30/08/2025

- 16:52

Updated: 31/08/2025

- 00:34

Boos rang out from the audience at the protesters

Pro-Palestinian protesters interrupted the BBC Proms in the Royal Albert Hall.

Jewish Artists for Palestine halted the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO) for more than 10 minutes due to the protest.


Protesters waved black handwritten signs reading "complicit in genocide" and "Jewish Artists for Palestine" from the upper tiers of the venue.

The BBC was forced to apologise for their actions.

One woman shouted: "The MSO has blood on its hands."

In a statement from Jewish Artists for Palestine, protesters voiced opposition to "Zionist funding, censorship and complicity in our cultural institutions" over the Gaza war.

They targeted the MSO after they cancelled a performance by pianist Jayson Gillham last year, after he spoke in support of Gazans.

Protesters shouted yesterday evening: "You silenced Jayson Gillham", and the "MSO is complicit in genocide".

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

\u200bPro-Palestine protesters outside the Royal Albert Hall

Pro-Palestine protesters outside the Royal Albert Hall

|

X/ARTFRONTLINE

The group raises concerns over the funding of the MSO, as well as artist Khatia Buniatishvili, performing alongside the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.

Boos emerged from the audience during the protest.

The MSO has previously said the decision to cancel the concert was a mistake.

On Friday, the orchestra then went on to restart their performance, and security removed the protesters.

\u200bProtesters held up signs saying 'complicit in genocide'

Protesters held up signs saying 'complicit in genocide'

|

X/ARTFRONTLINE

Angela Tanner, who was in the stalls, told the BBC: "The whole programme had to start again and was put into a different order after the piano was put onto the stage and taken off again.

"There was lots of booing from the audience, then eventually they [the organisers] announced, thanks for your patience."

Another member stated: "Overall, the atmosphere seemed to be strongly against the protest, with many members of the audience annoyed and shouting obscenities with anger at the protesters."

The BBC said in a statement: "We are sorry about the disruption to our coverage of the BBC Proms on Radio 3 tonight.

\u200bA letter written by the protesters

A letter written by the protesters

|

X/ARTFRONTLINE

"There was a disturbance at tonight's Prom, which meant the concert was paused for a few minutes and the live broadcast on BBC Radio 3 diverted to pre-recorded music.

"The incident was dealt with swiftly by the Royal Albert Hall.

"Our priority is always the safety and wellbeing of everyone who attends the BBC Proms, and we would like to thank our staff and the performers whose response helped keep disruption to a minimum."

More From GB News