Police launch hunt for couple that left gastropub without paying £88 bill

CCTV images of the suspects

The pair failed to settle up their bill before fleeing the North Yorkshire pub

North Yorkshire Police
Holly Bishop

By Holly Bishop

Published: 09/08/2023

- 15:44

North Yorkshire Police have released CCTV images of the pair

A couple who are allegedly left a gastropub without paying for their £88 bill are now being searched for by police.

The duo supposedly failed to pay for their food and drinks at The Denison Arms, Scarborough, before doing a runner on June 25.

North Yorkshire Police, in attempts to find the couple, have released CCTV images of two people who could “help with the investigation”.

The police have also asked residents to keep their eyes peeled for the suspected dine-and-dashers from the North Yorkshire pub.

The Denison Arms, in Scarborough

The Denison Arms, in Scarborough


The duo fled the scene in a red Citroen Berlingo car on June 25.

A spokesperson for the force said: “Officers are asking members of the public to get in touch if they recognise the people in the images as they believe they could have information that would help the investigation.”

The Denison Arms, in East Ayton, offers a range of “locally sourced steaks” from its charcoal grill, as well as a selection of classic dishes such as fish and chips.

The couple aren’t the only dine-and-dashers in North Yorkshire.

Just this week, two women pulled a runner at The Smithy Arms, in Swinton, North Yorkshire, leaving their £56 bill unpaid for.

Ruby McGrath, 32, and Suzy Hopley, 33, told the staff that they would pay food their food at the bar, but dashed out the pub before they could settle their debts.

Lisa McMaster, the landlady of the pub, decided to take matters into her own hands and took to Facebook to post CCTV footage of the women.

She gave them a deadline of 11am on Tuesday to settle their bill.

\u200bEast Ayton, where the incident took place

East Ayton, where the incident took place


The pair did later return to pay in full.

Lisa said: “They’ve been in and apologised and explained their situation.

“It seems there was a medical issue involving one of the children and they felt they had to leave to deal with that.

“They explained that they went back to their campsite and wanted to ring to explain but had no signal. We're glad the matter has been settled and as far as we're concerned that's the end of it.”

You may like