A charity led by a black domestic abuse campaigner who was repeatedly asked where she “really came from” at Buckingham Palace has had to pause its operations over safety fears.
Sistah Space, which supports women of African and Caribbean heritage who have been affected by domestic and sexual abuse, said it was “forced to temporarily cease” many of its operations after Ngozi Fulani spoke out about her treatment by Lady Susan Hussey.
Ms Fulani, who founded the charity, said she had suffered “horrific abuse” on social media after the royal repeatedly challenged her when she said she was British.
In a statement on its Instagram page on Friday night, Sistah Space said: “Thank you for the continued support and messages.
“Unfortunately recent events meant that we were forced to temporarily cease many of our operations to ensure the safety of our service users and our team.
“We are overwhelmed by the amount of support and encouragement and look forward to fully reinstating our services as soon as safely possible.”
Ms Fulani had earlier expressed her shock over her treatment by Lady Susan – Prince William’s godmother and the late Queen’s lady in waiting.
The charity founder said she and her team had received “horrific abuse via social media”.
Lady Susan, 83, resigned from the household and apologised after she repeatedly challenged Ms Fulani when she said she was British at the Queen Consort’s reception highlighting violence against women and girls.
Ms Fulani had previously told GB News that the royal had also touched her hair during the encounter.
Ms Fulani had added that the comments were down to racism, not Lady Susan’s age.