Madeleine McCann prime suspect freed from prison in just weeks as time runs out for investigators
WATCH: GB News' Charlie Peters is granted exclusive access to the area where police are currently searching for evidence linked to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann
|GB NEWS
Christian Brueckner has previously been convicted of sexually abusing children, and is currently serving a sentence for rape
Don't Miss
Most Read
Trending on GB News
A prime suspect in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann is set to be released in just weeks, local authorities have confirmed.
Christian Brueckner, who is currently serving a sentence in northern Germany for a rape conviction, will be released by September 17, according to the investigation's lead prosecutor.
Hans Christian Wolters also told the BBC that although the 48-year-old is still believed to be dangerous, Brueckner must be released without delay due to the current legal situation.
The German national denies any involvement with the then three-year-old's disappearance, and has never been charged with any crime in relation to it.
Christian Brueckner will be released by September 17
| GETTYHowever, German authorities have confirmed there is evidence to suggest Brueckner was in the area when the British child disappeared from an apartment complex in Praia da Luz in the Algarve.
Mr Wolters reiterated investigations would continue, but currently he and other prosecutors do not believe they have enough evidence to formally charge Brueckner who "is not just our number one suspect, he's the only suspect".
He told the BBC: "We have evidence which speaks against [Brueckner], which indicates that he is responsible for the disappearance and the death of Madeleine McCann.
MORE ON THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MADELEINE MCCANN:
The British child disappeared from an apartment complex in Praia da Luz in the Algarve May 2007
|PA
"We have not found anything in the last five years that exonerates [him]. We found evidence that strengthens our case.
"But in our view it is not strong enough to make a guilty verdict likely, and that is why so far we could not charge him or apply for an arrest warrant."
The toddler's disappearance became one of the most well-known missing persons cases when it sparked a Europe-wide investigation in May 2007.
Her parents, Kate and Gerry, had been with friends at a restaurant a short walk away from where she and her siblings were asleep in a ground-floor apartment.
Kate and Gerry McCann's daughter's disappearance became one of the most well-known missing persons cases when it sparked a Europe-wide investigation
|PA
Having checked on the children periodically throughout the night, her mother discovered the child's disappearance at around 10pm local time.
The case remains unsolved, with British authorities continuing to treat it as a missing persons case.
Whereas, due to different legal systems, German police suspect Brueckner of murder in relation to the disappearance.
In June, a fresh search of land near to where Brueckner was known to have been staying at the time was launched by Portuguese and German police.
A fresh search in Portugal was launched in June but no major breakthroughs were made
|PA
However, no breakthroughs were made.
Mr Wolters has led the German investigation since Brueckner was announced as a prime suspect in 2020.
He said that according to a recent expert assessment, the convicted rapist is regarded as a danger to society.
The prosecutor added: "You have to expect [Brueckner] to commit further crimes."
Because of this, restrictions such as Brueckner being fitted with an ankle tag, have been requested by prosecutors.
A decision on these conditions will be made by a court hearing which will be closed to the public.
Brueckner has previously been convicted in 1994 and 2016 of sexually abusing children, and is currently in jail for the rape of a 72-year-old American tourist in Portugal in 2005.
Last year, in an unrelated trial, he was cleared by a German court of rape and sexual abuse.