Dad killed teenage daughter by driving over her body twice as he was 'totally consumed by anger' – court told

Dad killed teenage daughter by driving over her body twice as he was 'totally consumed by anger' – court told
Live stream 1069
Anna Fox

By Anna Fox

Published: 30/06/2022

- 19:52

Updated: 14/02/2023

- 10:54

The incident occured following a family break-up

A teenager sustained fatal injuries after her dad ran over her body twice, Norwich Crown court heard today.

Nigel Malt, 44, killed Lauren Malt, 19, outside the home in West Winch in Norfolk, in a spate of "anger" following a family break-up.

Ms Malt was living at the address with her mum and younger siblings on the evening of January 23 this year.

Her dad, who was estranged from his wife and children, was living at a separate address prior to the incident.

Barrister Andrew Jackson outlined how the dad and daughter had been arguing, with Malt threatening her boyfriend, Arthur Marnell with a crowbar in Leete Way.

Malt then proceeded to reverse his car into his daughter, knocking her to the ground.

Malt murdered his daughter Lauren Malt in Leete Way
Malt murdered his daughter Lauren Malt in Leete Way
Google Maps

Mr Jackson continued: "Having knocked her to the ground he then reversed his car over her.

“He stopped, then he drove the car forward again over her body."

Condemning the incident the barrister said: “These actions killed Lauren Malt, and later examination of her body revealed bruising, lacerations and crushing injuries to her head, torso, arms and legs.”

The teenager was examined in a post-mortem which concluded she died of significant traumatic injuries to her chest and abdomen.

Malt, of Lynn Road, King’s Lynn, denies murder.

The trial continues at Norwich Crown Court
The trial continues at Norwich Crown Court
Google Maps

The barrister noted how Malt's relationships with his family were ruined by "drinking, drug-taking, anger", and that after he “failed in his bid to inflict violence” on Lauren’s boyfriend and she told him to go home “he was totally consumed with anger”.

Continuing his address to the court, Mr Jackson said: “It may seem hard to tell why it was that on that evening in January he behaved with such deliberate and direct anger and violence.

“As far as one can tell the answer lies in the inability to deal with his family without resorting to anger and violence.”

Malt had been known to the police after being reported for assaulting his wife in April 2021, the prosecutor said.

Following the incident, Malt was arrested and bailed with conditions not to contact his wife, go to the shop where she worked or to visit her home.

In January this year, his wife was estranged from him, moving to West Winch with her children.

Mr Jackson said that, on the evening Lauren was killed, Malt breached his bail conditions by going to the shop where his wife worked, drove to her home and made repeated phone calls. “

The defendant’s relationship with his family was broken and it was something he wasn’t prepared to accept,” said the prosecutor.

While at the shop where his wife was, he made 19 attempted calls to the landline of her home, where Lauren and her boyfriend were, between 6.25pm and 6.52pm. He had driven there earlier but nobody answered the door to him.

“Those persistent calls, you can see, went unanswered,” said the barrister.

“The prosecution say by now the defendant’s anger was escalating.

“He told Karen Malt the door at Leete Way was locked and if he wanted to get in he would.

“He said he had a crowbar in his car and if he had to he would use it.”

He made three further calls, with the final one answered and lasting one minute and six seconds.

“It appears Lauren did answer that call,” Mr Jackson said.

“The defendant, of course, knows full well what was said in that call to Lauren, but Lauren’s now dead.

“Within two minutes of that call ending, the defendant then left the West Winch shop and drove directly to Leete Way.

“Something in that call caused him to leave and go back to Leete Way.”

Upon arrival at the address, Malt parked in the driveway and began arguing with his daughter and her boyfriend.

He then proceeded to threaten Mr Marnell, attempting to assault him with a crowbar.

Malt then began to drive his black Mercedes saloon “at speed”, the prosecutor said.

After running over his daughter, a witness shouted: “You’ve killed her, you’ve f****** killed her.”

On footage recorded at around 7.25pm, Malt said: “Don’t get the police.” Instead, he put his dying daughter into his car.

The barrister said: “Having put Lauren into the front passenger seat of his car, he drove her to the shop at West Winch.

“He phoned Karen, telling her his daughter was dead, he was bringing Lauren to her.”

Allison Summers QC, defending, suggested that what happened was an accident and asked jurors to consider if Malt “actually saw his daughter at or near to the back of his car”.

The trial of Malt is set to last two weeks.

You may like