Rico Verhoeven makes big announcement after controversial defeat to Oleksandr Usyk

WATCH NOW: Boxing legend Frank Warren tallks to GB News

|

GB NEWS

Jack Otway

By Jack Otway


Published: 24/05/2026

- 10:18

Updated: 24/05/2026

- 10:21

The kickboxing icon lost in 11 rounds on Saturday night

Rico Verhoeven has launched an official appeal after his controversial defeat to Oleksandr Usyk, insisting "rules only matter if they are applied when it matters most" following the dramatic stoppage on Saturday night.

The heavyweight showdown ended in chaotic fashion when referee Mark Lycett stepped in to halt the contest in the 11th round, moments after the bell had already sounded.


Verhoeven and his team were left furious by the timing of the stoppage, particularly given how competitive the fight had been heading into the closing stages.

The Dutch kickboxing superstar later shared a photograph on social media showing his manager formally submitting an appeal while travelling to the airport.

"Official protest has been filed on our way to the Airport," Verhoeven wrote.

"Rules only matter if they are applied when it matters most."

The controversy has only intensified scrutiny on what had already been a stunningly close fight.

Heading into the final six minutes, Verhoeven was narrowly ahead on one judge's scorecard, while the other two officials had the bout level.

Rico Verhoeven has launched an official appeal after his controversial defeat to Oleksandr Usyk, insisting "rules only matter if they are applied when it matters most" following the dramatic stoppage on Saturday night

Rico Verhoeven has launched an official appeal after his controversial defeat to Oleksandr Usyk, insisting "rules only matter if they are applied when it matters most" following the dramatic stoppage on Saturday night

|

GETTY

That left the contest finely poised despite Usyk defending his WBA and WBC heavyweight titles.

The veteran ultimately secured victory after flooring Verhoeven with a brutal left uppercut late in the 11th round.

But many observers were left debating whether the referee should have allowed the round to conclude naturally given the bell had already sounded.

Verhoeven made no attempt to hide his frustration afterwards.

Oleksandr Usyk celebrates his victory on Saturday night

Oleksandr Usyk celebrates his victory on Saturday night

|

GETTY

"I thought it was an early stoppage," he said.

"I believe the referee knows that we're almost at the end of the round, or let me go out on my shield or let the bell go.

"It was close and I thought we were equal on the scorecards."

Despite entering the ring as a huge underdog, Verhoeven threatened to produce one of boxing's greatest shocks in just his second professional bout and his first since 2014.

The 37-year-old repeatedly troubled Usyk with his awkward stance and relentless pressure.

Verhoeven made a fast start and landed cleanly in the opening round before Usyk responded in the second.

As the fight wore on, the Ukrainian appeared uncomfortable and was repeatedly forced backwards onto the ropes.

Verhoeven enjoyed some of his best moments in the eighth and ninth rounds, catching the champion with heavy right hands as the crowd sensed a potential upset.

Rico Verhoeven looks dejected after his defeat to Oleksandr Usyk

Rico Verhoeven looks dejected after his defeat to Oleksandr Usyk

|

GETTY

Usyk, however, demonstrated the resilience that has defined his legendary career.

The 39-year-old weathered the storm before finally seizing control late in the 11th with a devastating sequence that forced the referee's intervention.

Speaking afterwards on DAZN, Usyk admitted the challenge had pushed him hard.

"This fight was hard," he said. "It was a good fight."

Usyk also declared himself ready to face Agit Kabayel after the German's appearance in the ring following the bout.

Elsewhere on the card, Jack Catterall produced an impressive display to defeat Shakhram Giyasov on points and secure the WBA 'regular' welterweight title.